Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up new iPhone 4S from iCloud backup requests other people's AppleID passwords

My iPhone 4S arrived this morning, and I set it up using the iCloud backup from my old 3GS that I made last night.

Whilst it was installing all my apps, I got three separate requests for an AppleID password in the usual AppStore login popup.

However, the username field was pre-filled with Apple IDs that weren't mine.

They were "a_toynton [at] yahoo.com", "cwoolwine [at] putnamschools.org" and "guillermogonzalezcoppe [at] hotmail.com"

None of these are my AppleID, and none are people I know. All but a few of my apps are registered in the same AppleID. The other apps are also registered to me, but to a different AppleID I created for the US AppStore.

I deleted the pre-filled AppleID each time and entered my own and the correct password, and it all continued as normal.

I've searched around, but can't find anything about this.

Does anyone know why my brand new iPhone would be requesting the password for AppleIDs that are nothing to do with me, whilst installing apps from my own iCloud backup?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 6:07 AM

7 replies

Oct 26, 2011 1:10 PM in response to Julian Wright

I just received my new iPhone 4S today and this exact same thing happened to me!! I had a number of requests for Apple ID's that I have no idea where they came from. On top of that, the initial iCloud setup failed miserably. I wound up having to connect it to my computer and restore again.

I too would be really interested in finding out just how exactly these other people's ID's are on my brand new phone!!

Oct 26, 2011 2:21 PM in response to Julian Wright

So after looking around a bit more I stumbled on more info that shed a little light on the subject. Even though purchased music from Apple is DRM free, it appears as though the email address of the purchaser which also doubles as your AppleID is attached to the music file. Therefore, any music that is held in a backup on the iCloud is going to ask for password when re-downloading it. This is a potential security risk now because if you have ever had your laptop (with all your music on it) stolen at ANY time since your first song was purchased, these songs now could be rampant on the internet. Now anyone that has this song and tries to re-download it from their iCloud will be given your email address which doubles as your Apple ID. I recently had my iTunes account breached, I wonder if they got my email/appleid from this security flaw? Check the link below for more info.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1252598.

Here's something else you can have a look at although it is VERY dated, it is still relevant.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2007/05/apple-hides-account-info-in-drm-free-m usic-too.ars

Oct 28, 2011 12:02 PM in response to iGustavo

I'm not sure what is causing the issue but I suspect it has something to do with Apple attaching your AppleID to every purchased song from iTunes. If for some reason there was music on your iOS device that was purchased from another AppleID when you backed up the device to iCloud. Then when you do a restore from iCloud it will want to verify that you are actually the person that originally purchased each and every song that is being restored onto your device. So, in answer to your question and what worked for me is to not use iCloud for a restore. Use your computer with a USB cable. Or remove all music on your device before backing up to iCloud. This seems silly to me though and I didn't try it.

Dec 20, 2011 9:48 AM in response to Julian Wright

I too just encountered this problem. I recently bought a Macbook Air and I was authorizing the new computer to download purchases. When the authorization came up, the email appeared. As another poster mentioned, just inputting your own login information cured all. This happen twice, when I connected my iPad and my iPhone 4. Both times the email ID that appeared was "a_toynton [at] yahoo.com"

Does anyone have any updated info on this?

Setting up new iPhone 4S from iCloud backup requests other people's AppleID passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.