Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Airport Express won't extend range. How to set up?

My Airport Express won't extend the range of my Airport Extreme. How should I set it up to get it to work? Stuart

Airport Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 7:05 AM

5 replies

Oct 24, 2011 4:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

More thanks. The following, which I found on a link to the link you provided, makes me wonder whether I might be better off buying a wireless repeater than using the Airport Express:

"Adding Wi-Fi base stations when it is unnecessary can reduce Wi-Fi throughput because the Wi-Fi network will require more data management overhead."

Thoughts on this?

Thanks, Stuart

Oct 24, 2011 4:31 PM in response to Stuart Taylor

When the Express is configured to "extend" it is a wireless repeater.

"Adding Wi-Fi base stations when it is unnecessary

Speaks for itself

can reduce Wi-Fi throughput because the Wi-Fi network will require more data management overhead."

As will adding another computer, iPhone or any wireless device to the network, for that matter.

FWIW, I have run 4 AirPort Expresses all setup to "extend" and noticed nothing except faster Internet browsing and download speeds throughout the house.

IF...you can connect the AirPort Express to the AirPort Extreme using an Ethernet connection, that will provide better overall performance. That is the way any commercial network is designed, except on a much larger scale.

My Airport Express won't extend range. How to set up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.