Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a fix for a sticking key?

The "i" key sticks--doesn't work about 1/4 of the time.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 7:56 AM

Apart from cleaning out whatever sticky matter has gotten under it, there's really no other fix except replacing the keyboard.

6 replies

Oct 24, 2011 7:57 AM in response to nonalisa

If it's a older Mac, no longer under AppleCare/warranty, you can have the keyboard replaced.

Search for Mac repair online.

It's because Apple uses the bare minimal spring and a bubble pad, so they tend to wear out.

I use a nice hard, office type Compaq keyboard that only cost $4 at the thrift store, beat the **** out of it too, can slam the keys down all I want too. Drop the thing all the time.

It takes the wear and tear off the built in keyboard, that's for portable uses only.

Oct 24, 2011 8:07 AM in response to ds store

ds store: I've never had a key on any Apple keyboard "wear out." I've typed on my Apple notebooks and external KBs ten hours a day for 17 years, and I'm not a gentle typist. There's no problem with their quality at all. If you prefer a stiffer, springier KB, that's a matter of personal preference. You really need to stop misrepresenting your opinions as established facts.

Is there a fix for a sticking key?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.