Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch the keyboard language when using a bluetooth keyboard?

When using the on-screen keyboard I have the little globe to switch languages, but when using a bluetooth keyboard the on-screen keyboard is hiden.

I want to be able to write in different languages using the bluetooth keyboard, also the auto-correct gets in the way if I write in a different language than english and it tries to change the words to the closest similar english word.

Help!

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2016 2:39 PM

Up to iOS 8.x.x Cmd+Space or a dedicated shortcut on my Logitech Type + keyboard for iPad Air 2 used to change the keyboard layout.

From iOS 9.0 and above all that changed.

The new shortcut for changing the keyboard language switched to Ctrl+Space or Shift+Ctr+Space if you have more than two and you want to switch in backward direction, but now all new kind of troubles arised.

The old shortcut on the keyboard now just calls "search" and so does the dedicated "search" button too, so now I have two "search" buttons on the keyboard. Two is better than one you may say!

Also another side effect of this, is that now even Shift by itself changes the language too!!

So you can't type a word starting with a capital letter after switching language, or at least, not until the list of languages disappears from the screen!!!

In the early iOS 9 versions, so did Cmd, Alt and Ctrl along with Shift while the list of keyboads was visible.

On later iOS 9 and iOS 10 versions this was narrowed down only to the Shift key, but the behaviour changed slightly from version to version.

In the late iOS 9 versions Shift would keep cycling through keyboards, and it would reset the timer for showing the list of keyboards on screen, so if you kept pressing within 1 sec the shift key, you could be cycling forever.

iOS 10.1 changed that behavior (not fixed) and now if I was pressing the left Shift I would always select one language, while the right Shift would always Select the other (if I had three, it would always go to the top or the bottom one).

iOS 10.2 beta 1 and 2 kept that behaviour and now i'm on iOS beta 3 and both Shifts are again cycling though all the languages!

And all the above are also tested with my Apple A1314 bluetooth keyboard too, so it's not a Logitech hardware keyboard specific series of bugs.

Please just make the keyboard behave exactly as it does on a Mac and it will be just perfect!

Why does it have to be that hard?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2016 2:39 PM in response to Cano44

Up to iOS 8.x.x Cmd+Space or a dedicated shortcut on my Logitech Type + keyboard for iPad Air 2 used to change the keyboard layout.

From iOS 9.0 and above all that changed.

The new shortcut for changing the keyboard language switched to Ctrl+Space or Shift+Ctr+Space if you have more than two and you want to switch in backward direction, but now all new kind of troubles arised.

The old shortcut on the keyboard now just calls "search" and so does the dedicated "search" button too, so now I have two "search" buttons on the keyboard. Two is better than one you may say!

Also another side effect of this, is that now even Shift by itself changes the language too!!

So you can't type a word starting with a capital letter after switching language, or at least, not until the list of languages disappears from the screen!!!

In the early iOS 9 versions, so did Cmd, Alt and Ctrl along with Shift while the list of keyboads was visible.

On later iOS 9 and iOS 10 versions this was narrowed down only to the Shift key, but the behaviour changed slightly from version to version.

In the late iOS 9 versions Shift would keep cycling through keyboards, and it would reset the timer for showing the list of keyboards on screen, so if you kept pressing within 1 sec the shift key, you could be cycling forever.

iOS 10.1 changed that behavior (not fixed) and now if I was pressing the left Shift I would always select one language, while the right Shift would always Select the other (if I had three, it would always go to the top or the bottom one).

iOS 10.2 beta 1 and 2 kept that behaviour and now i'm on iOS beta 3 and both Shifts are again cycling though all the languages!

And all the above are also tested with my Apple A1314 bluetooth keyboard too, so it's not a Logitech hardware keyboard specific series of bugs.

Please just make the keyboard behave exactly as it does on a Mac and it will be just perfect!

Why does it have to be that hard?

Jun 22, 2012 4:40 AM in response to Cano44

I use an apple bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone 4. What works to switch between languages is to hold down shift + command + space all at the same time. That causes the menu of installed language options there are on the phone to appear on the phone's display. I can then touch the option I want on the phone screen to select it, and begin typing in that language by using the bluetooth keyboard.

Jun 22, 2012 4:52 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I see that now Tom, I'm sorry to confuse things. I think my problem might have been that I had the keyboard too far away from the phone, and so when I looked back from the keyboard to the phone, the screen indication of the languages had already disappeared from the screen. Because I have more than one language with Roman characters installed, I thought that no change was occurring from that sequence of commands, since I wasn't getting Korean. But now that I see your correction, and watch the screen closely, I see that you're right. I apologize. (And of course, I'm grateful to have a simpler way of switching languages!)

Nov 25, 2016 3:08 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I already have, along with a few other Greek keyboard specific related issues that weren't related to this one.

Here was just a sum up of the ones I came across so far...

Actually I did post these issues (at least the recent ones) using the feedback app of the public beta iOS but I think it's a matter of priorites when it comes to bug fixing and it also depends on the number of people affected by each bug, I understand that.

The post IDs for anyone who may be intrested are: #2375933 #2348779 #2295695 #2235772.

Originally when I posted them I thought the issue was related just to the Greek/English combination of keyboards, but later I tried other language combinations too with the same results.

How to switch the keyboard language when using a bluetooth keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.