Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Notes need a me.com account for the iCloud?

I am trying to put Notes in the iCloud settings to on with my iPhone 4S, but it says I need to create a free @me.com account to do so.

I am syncing Contacts, Calenders to iCloud without a @me.com account, why do I need to open to sync Notes with iCloud?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 12:16 PM

12 replies

Dec 19, 2011 4:51 AM in response to OzziesMAC

Actually, I'm wonering the same thing. I have a friend who has been set up to use iCloud using his regular E-Mail address (not me.com) to log into iCloud and sync his contacts, calendars, etc.. But apparantly not his notes.

He is trying to understand why some of his notes dissappeared and it turns out that notes wasn't turned on in iCloud settings on his iPhone. When we tried to turn it on, it required a me.com address, so we created one. Now all of his notes are gone, and new notes from his mac or iPhone 4s are not syncing between devices.

Jan 3, 2012 8:04 PM in response to OzziesMAC

Apple 'notes' are maintained simply as an email. if you have a mac, you'll see them maintained in your in-box. However, the mac mail app does have a setting to filter them out as separate items within the mail app. Regardless, yahoo allows for notes sync as does gmail I believe ... I often suggest people sign up for the me.com email address, even if they don't intend to use it, if for nothing else than to reserve the one they want and to be able to use iCloud syncing of notes.

Jul 26, 2012 8:06 PM in response to nmaves

nmaves, something to look for: if you weren't using icloud notes before, your iPhone saved them all local to the phone. On the notes app, you'll see buttons in the upper left that will take you back to the account locations. My hunch is that you'll see 'on my phone' and 'icloud'. You'll need to move them away from the 'on my phone' into the icloud for them to appear. No real way to do that from the phone short of copy/paste from an old note to a new note on the iCloud.

Once you delete all the 'on my phone' notes, the iCloud will become the default

Why does Notes need a me.com account for the iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.