Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organize By Thread not working in iOS 5 Mail

Since my iOS 5 update, viewing mail messages by thread no longer works for me (both on an iPhone 4s and an iPad 2). This happens with an imap account. (I don't know whether POP accounts are affected.)

It's easy to test this:

1. Send yourself a mail message with subject "Test".
  2. Reply to the message, so there are now two messages with subject "Test" and "Re: Test".
  3. Check that the "Organize By Thread" option for mail is enabled on the iOS 5 device.
  4. Look at your inbox.

On my iPhone and iPad, I see the two messages displayed as separate items but, with Mac Mail on OS X, they are shown as a single entry.

Is anyone else seeing this or am I the only one? Any known work-around?

Thanks,

Michi.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 1:30 PM

9 replies

Nov 13, 2011 1:02 AM in response to MichiHenning

I, too, am having "organize by thread" trouble with an imap account, both on my iPhone and iPad 2. In fact, 32 mails between 6 family members and myself going back 3+ months jut got lumped together under 1 (one!) thread, even though there really are at least 4-5 different threads, and with different subjects at that. I mean, really! Imagine the fright I just had upon seeing that my elderly parents and I have (supposedly) exchanged 32 mails all within the past half hour, at almost midnight!

The only common... thread I can see among all 32 mails is that they (sometimes) were sent to the same group of addresses, but which should be no reason for entirely different subjects to be grouped together under one thread. Guess it's time for a bug report...

Nov 13, 2011 1:11 PM in response to MichiHenning

Actually I also see the opposite as you say, i.e. messages that should be in the same thread are shown as separate threads, even though they are properly grouped in Mac Mail on OS X.

Thank you for having submitted a bug report to Apple, and for letting me know that Apple has since acknowledged it as a known problem and is working on it.

Good to know that I'm not alone here - obviously others are also faced with the same issue, though one would not have known based on the short... thread here!

(Eeeeek, I take it back! I just saw in Mac Mail on OS X that some messages aren't properly grouped, either. Sigh...)

Message was edited by: ecc.sd

Organize By Thread not working in iOS 5 Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.