11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2012 1:56 PM by John Maylone
Beetone Level 2 (320 points)

When I try to access my iCloud account by clicking on iCloud in system preferences an incorrect Apple ID is displayed. In fact, it is an old email address that I no longer use. How do I resolve  this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • ThatBenGuy Level 1 (75 points)

Click Sign Out.

• Beetone Level 2 (320 points)

What will that achieve?

• ThatBenGuy Level 1 (75 points)

If you are already signed in with an incorrect ID, it will allow you to sign in with another.

If you aren't signed in, select the ID that is showing and type in a different one, then click Sign In.

When I click on “sign out” a window opens which offers two choices: “Delete from Mac” or “Keep Contacts”.

I don’t see how this allows me to use an alternate ID.

• Alan Cook2 Level 3 (885 points)

Go to your User Account (not iCloud) in System Preferences. There is an Apple ID section in there. You need to change your Apple ID in there I believe. Let us know if that works.

Tried that. Didn’t help. The old (incorrect) Apple ID was still displayed when I tried to access my iCloud account through system preferences.

Perhaps the solution is to leave iCloud alone for a couple of weeks (or more) and by then Apple may have it working properly. To keep addressing the problem is time-consuming, distracting and, above all, annoying.

I also have the problem that while I have no trouble accessing iCloud webmail I cannot get in using Apple Mail (with the same ID and password, which is rejected.)

Somehow I have managed to survive without iCloud for many years and a few more  weeks (if that’s what it takes) won’t make much difference.

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,965 points)

And your password is fully compliant? (8 characters, minimum 1 number and 1 capital letter)

Yes. It works with iTunes and Apple Discussions and, as I mentioned, iCloud webmail.

• Alan Cook2 Level 3 (885 points)

Call iCloud support.

• amyfrombelding Level 1 (0 points)

I have spent quite a bit of time thinking I would finally get "caught up with technology" and downloaded icloud, etc. Well, I have lost all my purchases off my phone, cannot operate icloud on my computer, and can't seem to access it from my phone either. Is there a way to uninstall this???

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,965 points)

Beetone wrote:

Yes. It works with iTunes and Apple Discussions and, as I mentioned, iCloud webmail.

Can you answer my specific question please, does it meet these criteria: 8 character minimum including 1 number and 1 capital letter.

• John Maylone Level 1 (75 points)

I have had the same problem since upgrading to 10.8.2.  My Apple ID password works for the iTunes store and for this site, but I am constantly getting messages about iCloud problems and the password will not work to access the iCloud.

I have a backup external HD that runs 10.8.1 and the password works with iCloud there.

I also had a lot of trouble getting things to show up in the menu bar with 10.8.2

Cheers

• John Maylone Level 1 (75 points)

For my problem, my password meets the criteria specified by Csound1