Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade to iLife '11 for free?

Hi,

I purchased a new iMac a couple months ago. It came installed with Snow Leopard and iLife '11. I also have a late 2009 MacBook. The MacBook has Snow Leopard and iLife '09 installed on it. I had since installed Lion on my new iMac for free with the upgrade voucher.

When I went in the Mac App Store to install Lion on my MacBook the purchase icon didn't give a price, it just said "install", so it was free to upgrade my MacBook to Lion. However, when I look at the iLife '11 apps, they all show a price of $14.99. Should I be entitled to upgrade my MacBook to iLife '11 for free because I bought a new iMac? Will I be charged if I install the apps on my MacBook?

Thanks,

NM

MacBook

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 6:08 PM

8 replies

Oct 25, 2011 8:45 AM in response to NoMax2

I believe that Kappy is in error with his reply. There is a process from Apple using the MAS to accept the installed iLife suit that came pre-installed on your new Mac into your MAS account. Once you have accepted the apps they should be available for download on any Mac you own, just as Lion was. Contact an Apple Store genius or Apple Care for help walking through the steps of accepting the pre-installed apps on your new Mac.

Oct 25, 2011 1:49 PM in response to NoMax2

I am sorry NoMax2 that this thread took an unexpected detour. I have butted heads with Kappy about issues before, sometimes he has been correct and other times I have been correct.

To anyone else reading this thread could you please chime in with a report of your success or failure to to install the pre-installed iLife '11 apps from a new Mac onto an older Mac after you have accepted the pre-installed apps into your Mac App Store account.

Oct 25, 2011 5:51 PM in response to NoMax2

Yeah well, I looked in the app store and the iLife apps arent listed under "Purchased" and there is no "Accept" button either. I've sent a mail to the App Store support - not sure if they will be able to help....after spending over a grand on a new machine you'd think I'd be entitled to upgrade my MacBook too. . . 😕

Oct 26, 2013 5:24 PM in response to NoMax2

You say you are running Lion.

All the new apps, iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, all require Mavericks to be installed first.

So, download and install Mavericks for free on both computers if you haven't already, and then proceed below.

On your new iMac.

Sign in to the Mac App store with your Apple ID.

Do you see your purchases there?

If so, then sign into the Mac App Store on your Macbook with the same Apple ID.

The purchases should be identical to your iMac or any other computer that you log into the Mac App Store using the exact same Apple ID.

If you have several Apple ID's, then the purchases will most likely be different.

Only use the same Apple ID when logging in from any device.

Let us know what you find.

Can I upgrade to iLife '11 for free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.