Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When viewing photos on my iphone 4s they are zoomed in full screen and therefore cuts off the sides or top & bottom of the photo when viewing.

When viewing photos on my iphone 4s they are zoomed in full screen (no black bars showing), and therefore cuts off the sides or top & bottom of the photo when viewing. If I pinch to zoom out then I can see the whole photo and the black bars appear on the sides etc (like they should). How can I change this so that when I go to a photo it shows the whole things and not a zoomed in version. I want to see the whole photo as I took it when viewing without having to pinch to zoom out everytime. Is anybody else finding this to be a problem as it's very frustrating and can't find the problem mentioned anywhere.

Example: A screen shot doesn't have this probem since it fills the screen perfectly to begin with.

iPhone 4s-OTHER, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 10:22 PM

17 replies

Oct 25, 2011 5:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Zoom is not on in Accessibility settings. That was my first thought too. If you double tap to zoom then it zooms in...double tap again it zooms out, but only to where it started. I have to pinch zoom out to see the entire photo as it was taken. For instance I took a portrait photo of some writing on a notepad yesterday but it has the sides of the notepad including some writing cut off unless I zoom out. The problem is that the photo expands to fill the screen and therefore cuts off the sides or the top & bottom of the image (unless I manually zoom out). A portrait photo cuts off the sides when viewing upright, and a landscape photo cuts off the top and bottom when viewing with the phone on it's side.

Apr 14, 2012 12:48 PM in response to mongoose71

Hello -

half a year has gone by and this problem still exists with new iPhone 4Ss. Does anybody know if there is a solution to this problem? Even if it is only an app?

The reason I think is that the camera chip aspect ratio (3264 x 2448 pixels is 4:3) is different from the retina display aspect ratio (960 x 640 pixels). To display the entire image taken by the 8MP camera with its aspect ratio of 4:3 you would need a retina display size of 960 x 720 pixels to stay with that ratio. But since there are only 640 pixels instead of 720 available, the image will either be slimmed down by 80 pixels, or, if it shouldn't be cropped, there will be black bars at the top and/or bottom of about 108pixels worth. That means >10% of the image width or height, respectively, will not be displayed unless you pinch zoom out, in which case there will be black bars at the top and the bottom, >10% of the height of the display. The default setting seems to be that the image is cropped at the left side of the display, or at the bottom if you took a landscape picture (why not cropping symmetrically at least?).

I can't believe this went through the design stages without someone saying "you can't do this". I personally got the iPhone 4S because of the camera and the display (coming from the 3GS), hoping that I would be able to have a decent photo diary of my journeys. Somehow I expected the photos to be displayed in the same aspect ratio as the one displayed on the screen when I took them. Now I have to keep in mind that what I see is not what I'll get (on the iPhone screen). Very disturbing! Most of my pictures will remain on that device to be displayed exclusively there - is it too much to ask that, when displayed on the screen, my photos should show the same field of view as was shown on that same screen when I took the photo?

I'll be grateful for anything which might explain and improve the current situation - software update for choice of default zoom setting in photo display, app etc..

Sincerely,

Chris

May 27, 2013 3:52 AM in response to Natasha yap

I've just been bitten by this too. Taking a photo in bright sunlight so the screen was very difficult to see to frame the shot I kept thinking I'd cut off the top of the subject. Then I realised the screen and photo aspect ratios are different and pinch zoomed and voilà all 5 or so shots were framed correctly.

Not only is this rather dumb behaviour, especially as there isn't a setting to change it, but it's inconsistent as well. In the Videos app, if you view a video with a different aspect ratio to the screen, it starts by showing the whole video with black bars but if you double-tap the screen it then zooms to fill the screen, cropping the image as necessary!

Maybe Jony Ive taking over the UI design will get this fixed!

Oct 17, 2013 3:41 PM in response to mongoose71

I can't believe that this has not been fixed. Either Apple is not aware of this issue, and therefore must neither USE the photo app they make, nor read their own support forums, or they just don't care. This lack of action really suggests that apple must not care about their customers or they would be addressing this issue in any way, shape, or form.

Jan 30, 2014 8:56 AM in response to mongoose71

This is one of the thing I HATE Apple for ... Another crap thing is that when you want to use a picture as background it automatically zooms in and you're not able to zoom out. Which means you can't even have a full screened pictore as your background. I do love Apple for their design and system etc., but they also have a lot of crap systems which is frustating when using your iPhone

Jan 30, 2014 12:39 PM in response to Flazhphone

Flazhphone wrote:

This is one of the thing I HATE Apple for ... Another crap thing is that when you want to use a picture as background it automatically zooms in and you're not able to zoom out. Which means you can't even have a full screened pictore as your background. I do love Apple for their design and system etc., but they also have a lot of crap systems which is frustating when using your iPhone

I spotted that too. It's new in iOS7. I've worked out why, it's because of the parallax effect on the Home Screen. If they allowed you to use the whole image then when it moved as you tilt the phone you'd get black borders along the edges. The zoom level is only sufficient to prevent this in the shorter direction. This causes a big problem when using landscape photos as wallpaper.

Jun 10, 2014 5:15 AM in response to mongoose71

I'm having the same problem on iPhone 5. I like to shoot in 2:3 ratio and everytime I'm viewing my photos in landscape mode I have to manually zoom out to see the whole picture. I really can't understand what's the big idea behind this feature. It's annoying as ****. This is something Apple could easily address, but obviously it's not very high in their priority list. Just give us the opportunity to enjoy our photos in their original aspect ratio, without the unnecessary zooming. Please!

Oct 3, 2015 5:21 PM in response to mongoose71

I believe this is still relevant in recent iOS releases. so this is the solution I found for photos being cut off.

When viewing a fullscreen photo that is cut off; double tap the screen to zoom in and double tap again to zoom out. The photo should now fit the screen.

Hope this solves your problem and helps anyone else who was annoyed with this.

When viewing photos on my iphone 4s they are zoomed in full screen and therefore cuts off the sides or top & bottom of the photo when viewing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.