Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Keeps Shutting Down

Ok, so I have a mid-2007 MacBook with and Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, running the latest in EVERYTHING as far as OS and software goes. It has always worked like a dream for me. I only took it in for repairs once, and that was because I dropped it. However, yesterday, my Mac started acting weird. It acted as if I had the shift key held down,so I couldn't even type in my password correctly to log in! However, later it wouldn't even type at all if I pushed a 'shift' key. Then, later that night, after leaving it off for several hours, I tried again. This time, it started up, but then turned off again right away. So, I took the battery out and unplugged it and left it that way overnight. This morning, I put the battery back in, plugged it in, and turned it on. It let me log in, but then turned off again. I tried again, and it let me log in again, and stayed on for about ten minutes before shutting down again. I tried again, and quickly googled. I read a link for an SMC reset: Putting the comp to sleep, then restarting, then shutting down. So I decided to try that. However, I can't put my computer to sleep. Every time I do, it just shuts off. Help! I'm afraid I'll have to run to Apple, and the nearest one is an hour and a half away. That, and I'm nowhere near warranty, considering it's four years old. Also, I know it's not my battery, because this happens whether it's plugged in or just on the battery, and the battery is new, and all the indications in System Profiler are normal and good. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

MacBook 2007 Model, Mac OS X (10.7), 120GB HD, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 5:12 AM

2 replies

Oct 25, 2011 5:50 AM in response to melissapete24

Update: Although now I can get on my comp, after just a minute, a box will pop up, the one that pops up when you hit the power button. If I don't click cancel within a minute of this box popping up, the computer will shut down. I'm trying to do a backup of my computer before taking it in, but at this rate, I doubt I can get one done.

MacBook Keeps Shutting Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.