Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"keep both Files" via option key! Can this be default?

When I try to copy or move a group of files from one folder to another, some of the filenames are the same between the source & destination folder.

When I used to do this, a copy dialog box would appear giving me options of what I wanted to do with the files that had duplicate names. One of the options was to "Keep Both Files".

Now, if I try to copy or move 5 or more files, the "Keep Both Files" button is replaced with "Skip". I can show the "Keep Both Files" if I hit the option key, but I would like it as on of the default options.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks Terry

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 12:49 PM

5 replies

Nov 10, 2012 6:34 PM in response to moon1003

I am having the same issue. I have 10's of thousands of photos...and while migrating from PC to Mac I ended up with multiples. I have been sorting and purging for some time now, but this is very frustrating.

I need to be able to "keep both" files nearly every time, because I want to be able go through and do a visual inspection. Some were photoshop'd and some were scanned going back to 1998.

If Apple doesn't offer it is there a decent 3rd party product that does?!!

"keep both Files" via option key! Can this be default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.