Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs being put out of order on iPod Classic 160GB

I have an iPod Classic 160GB. I'm having the problem that my iPod is randomly reordering tracks within an album. I've checked "get info" and the tracks are correctly ordered in iTunes and when I plug my iPod in, but some songs are out of order. For example, I have a song that, in the song info on iTunes (and my iPod when I plug it in to sync) is listed as track "1 of 11." But when I play it on my iPod, it's in order as "11 of 11." I don't have shuffle on. I have made sure to get the song order correct in the software. I honestly can't figure out why my iPod is reordering some tracks, seemingly at random.

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 5:58 PM

See http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/grouping.asp#section8

tt2

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 3:46 PM in response to turingtest2

Hey turingtest2:

I had this same problem and tried the solution at your link, making sure all the metadata you specified was the same across all songs, yet it still made my 4 of 13 song #1, 13 of 13 song #2, and ranked the rest in proper order after them.

Know what finally solved it? Album art. The two songs with album art were sorted ahead of the eleven without. When I copied new album art and pasted across al songs ... boom, fixed.

Oh, and get this: the problem with out of order songs was only on my iPod classic. My iPhone 4S had my songs in the right order all along.

Go figure.

Dec 29, 2014 3:43 PM in response to livingaftermidnight

Looks like the composer field matters too. I had an album with a couple of tracks that were out of order. Nothing about those tracks looked different. Most of the tracks had a composer field that was filled in with the same line of text as the others, but some didn't have anything. The strange thing is that the tracks that were out of order weren't the ones with nothing in the composer field!

I just blanked out the entire composer field for all of the album's tracks (once again using mp3tag), then resunk my iPod and the tracks were in order again.

I still have other albums with a few songs out of order and they have nothing in the composer fields for all of the songs so it's clearly not the solution all of the time.

Songs being put out of order on iPod Classic 160GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.