Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much video can I fit on a 4.7GB DVD?

How much video can I fit on a 4.7GB DVD+R using iDVD? I thought single-layer DVDs held about 1 hour of video.

I know some of this depends on menus, and music and other features. I'm just trying to determine if I need dual layer discs if my video project is about an hour and a half.

Thanks

Finn

PM G5 dual 2.3Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jan 31, 2006 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2006 11:56 AM

2 hours is the limit on a single layer disc. I recently created a movie that was 2 hours 1 minute...but well below 4.7 gb. iDVD yelled at me when I tried to burn it saying I was limited to 2 hours or needed to insert a dual layer disc. I trimmed 3 minutes off, bringing the movie to 1 hour 58 minutes. It burned just fine.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2006 11:56 AM in response to Tyler Snouffer

2 hours is the limit on a single layer disc. I recently created a movie that was 2 hours 1 minute...but well below 4.7 gb. iDVD yelled at me when I tried to burn it saying I was limited to 2 hours or needed to insert a dual layer disc. I trimmed 3 minutes off, bringing the movie to 1 hour 58 minutes. It burned just fine.

Jan 31, 2006 3:50 PM in response to askmel3

Askeml is right, 2 hours is the time limit. iDVD doesn't care about "size" just time as it will encode up to two hours to fit

but well below 4.7 gb

Realize that 4.7GB is really less than that, think 4.3GB. Why?

from http://www.videohelp.com/dvd.htm#1000

DVD-5, holds around 4 700 000 000 bytes and that is 4.37 computer GB where 1 kbyte is 1024 bytes* . DVDR/DVDRW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Single Sided Single Layered. This is the most common DVD Media, often called 4.7 GB Media.

And your directory structure, etc. will take more space so 4GB is what you will get in practice for video DVDs......

But even though I'm talking about size...think runtime.....for single layer that is 2 hours on best quality, one hour on best performance.

John B.

G5dual2GHz, 550TiBook, 9600>G3Upgraded Mac OS X (10.4.4) 1TB+ Storage

Jan 31, 2006 5:44 PM in response to John Beatty1

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm glad to hear my project is likely to fit on a single layer especially considering the prices I saw over the weekend for dual-layer discs!

When you referred to the tradeoff between quality and perfomance at the end of your message what did you mean?

Quality of what exactly (video quality?)?

Performance of what (the burning process?)?

Thanks

How much video can I fit on a 4.7GB DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.