Skip navigation

Family member set up twist - HELP

234 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2011 5:21 PM by Sjazbec RSS
jenskar2 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 25, 2011 4:32 PM

My husband and I have one iTunes account -- we have since the beginning of iTunes.  On Saturday, he could not log on with his user name, so he created a new one.  I have been able to use that account on my Mac Book Pro in iTunes (successfully downloaded a song), but my phone and iPad are both still attempting to sync to the old account name (even though I've hard synced them with my Mac Book).  I have my own Apple id -- my own Mobile me account.  I have not moved them to iCloud yet. 

When I go to the Store setting on the phone -- it does not show his old account name, but my Mobile me account.  Am I supposed to enter his account name/pasword here?  I am scared to death to overwrite my contacts, etc.

Should I move my Mobile Me to iCloud -- entering the store id he has now?  Everything was working fine until he had to change his id on Saturday (I put that down to conflicting apple ids and iTune account names left over from an idiot Apple store worker years ago, who set up his iMac without asking if he HAD an id already.

iPhone 4, iOS 5, iPad (original)
  • Sjazbec Level 4 Level 4 (1,665 points)
    Oct 25, 2011 4:39 PM (in response to jenskar2)

icloud Apple-ID can be  different then your STORE Apple-ID.

If you enter a new Apple-ID in Appstore // iTunes // iBooks etc - you will lose your purchases as they are tied and hardcoded to the Apple-ID that was used when you initially bought them.

iCloud Apple-ID is entered in the iCloud system setting - both in your iOS5 device as wll as on all Macs/PCs that should be included in the sync scheme . This typically is your @me.com / @mac.com - i.e. the one you moved from MobileMe over to icloud or the one you generated new in iClouds initial setup dialog.

If one Mac/PC uses a different Apple-ID for the iCloud, it is ok so, but it will not sync with the others.

• Sjazbec Level 4 Level 4 (1,665 points)
    Oct 25, 2011 5:21 PM (in response to jenskar2)
    Given how convoluted that all got to type, I'm going to the Genius bar and am going to let them sort me out before I move to iCloud or try anything else.

A wise decision. MobileMe to iCloud has caused a lot of question marks and has already people loosing stuff, yes.

You must make sure that your equippment is iCloud ready, meaning Lion and iOS5. If there are machines or devices left that can't run this software, you will run into traumatic issues. I see everday SnowLeopard and iOS4  Users that accidently moved their accounts  , assuming it would somehow be no problem and now have no access to their Mail,contacts, you name it.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.