Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open directory problems

OK, I can say I am truly frustrated with open directory under Lion. We were running a Snow Leopard server that was doing a great job of allowing us to configure various settings on our Macs. Then Lion arrives. Getting Lion to bind to our open directory master was an exercise in failure. Unlike Snow Leopard or earlier, you can't just try to connect to open directory and then bind after entering the server, there are additional steps. If you try and join to your open directory server from directory utility, you end up having to remove your open directory settings completely, as any change you attempt to make just brings up -[__NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil key.

So, I thought, hey, we need a new server anyway, let's get a new machine running Lion server. That should solve our problem, right? Wrong! Hoping to not have to rebuild our Workgroup configurations, I migrated from the Snow Leopard server to Lion. Now, any pre-Lion OS that binds adds 3 entries, one for the Computer ID you specify, one for the DNS name, and one for Kerberos. Lion clients do not bind any easier or with any less problem to the Lion server. And the most frustrating part is the way Lion clients ignore the computer ID and bind using their DNS name instead. Since we use DHCP and configure our machines in a special segment before deployment, the DNS names are totally irrelavent for identifying machines.

So, all that being said, has anyone been able to bind and successfully manage Lion clients on an open directory master? Barring that, anyone have any suggestions? I held out for 10.7.2 because I heard it addressed open directory shortcomings, but this does not seem to be the case. On a positive note, it does seem to have fixed some active directory issues (but not all).

Any Mac running 10.7-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 10:13 AM

11 replies

Oct 28, 2011 6:51 AM in response to Craig Luis

let me guess

you ran these terminal commands on your OD master

sudo rm /usr/lib/sasl2/openldap/libgssapiv2.2.so

sudo rm /usr/lib/sasl2/openldap/libgssapiv2.la

well I did this after being on the phone with enterprise support...because this is what they told me to do which did allow me to see my 10.7.2 machine on my OD master but then on my client I got your error, and my OD server on the client didnt show up as green like my AD server. So I called back Apple Enterprise support and this is what they told me to do...

Remove the OD server off the client and remove from my workgroup mrg, on the OD server, reboot client, do a easy bind click yes or continue with you get the SSL pop up now you should be bound and it should show green, then on the OD master manually add your client to the workgroup mgr, by putting in your machine name and your machines MAC address it then should show up on the OD masters workgroup mgr list which it did and I was then able to push policys to it just like my 10.5 and 10.6 machines

not really as easy as it was with my 10.6 clients but it worked and that was my main concern you can try it and see if it works for you

Craig Morrison

Kirkwood Community College

Oct 28, 2011 8:07 AM in response to kwood_cmorris

Thanks for the reply.

I did not run those commands, because the support article about those commands http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3861?viewlocale=en_US states the problem is caused by magic triangles. My open directory server is not bound to active directory, because I was never able to get it work properly, even under 10.6 server.

The ultimate solution has been to create a workflow on our setup room DeployStudio server to bind new machines to Active Directory and Open Directory via their built-in scripts, which works perfectly.

Apparently, the underlying mechanisms for Active Directory and Open Directory work just fine, but the GUI interfaces for both are horribly broken in Lion, even under 10.7.2.

Nov 4, 2011 12:15 PM in response to HBarnes

The easiest way to get the script is to download DeployStudio from http://deploystudio.com/Home.html and once it is installed, you can look at all the scripts they have. All I did was replaced placeholders in their script with site specific items. Since I didn't actually write the script, and don't want to share my site specific information, I am directing you to the original source.

Nov 4, 2011 1:01 PM in response to Craig Luis

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I have gotten the gui to work to the point of obeying computer level policies (that's via adding it & then clicking bind under the LDAPv3 settings). I use the golden triangle configuration and weird thing is it actually kind of worked with 7.1, just took forever for the yellow "some domain accounts not available" to go away. With 7.2 now logins are much faster but the yellow status is always there at login, even though under the account settings all servers are always green. I even tried changing the search paths & attributes manually but it never works. I did notice the atribute for server autoconfiguration is gone, wonder if this is somehow related.

It's extremely frustrating, I've had a lot of bugs in version 1 of Apple OSes but this is the worst I've experienced & that it got worse with 7.2 is just insane. We're looking at AD schema extension but I'm reading tons of horror stories about that all over the web. Apple tells us it's piece of cake yet I can no longer find their own documentation for it & blogs of people who've tried it would say otherwise.

Now we have new MacBook Pros that can't run Snow Leopard and Lion is utterly broken. Apple really doesn't get enterprise. We don't have the time & money to just upgrade when they tell us we should. They just don't get it, and I say this as an avid Apple user. I guess until it hurts their pocket book they probably never will get it.

Nov 4, 2011 3:13 PM in response to HBarnes

I hear you. It has been the same thing for us, but we have users that ordered systems, and we are tasked with ensuring they work.

Our DeployStudio setup allows to put in some basic machine identification information, and then it drops the image and binds the machine to active directory, and then open directory, even putting the machine in the correct group under work group manager.

Turns out the underlying mechanisms for active directory and open directory work just fine, but the GUI under 10.7 is horribly broken. I am guessing the reason why there aren't more complaints is because larger organizations are already using other deployment tools that bypass the need for the GUI interfaces completely.

Apple has definitely gone more consumer oriented lately.

Feb 17, 2012 11:22 AM in response to kwood_cmorris

This reply helped me immensely, although the underlying issue at hand does not make too much sense to me. Despite following your statements and yielding a success that persisted after a reboot, the pre-staging the computer account I did the following:

Disabled REQUIRE authenticated binding

Allowed authenticated binding

prestaged computer account

removed binding and OD from 10.7 client

reboot

add OD server

reboot

go into Directory Utility and manually bind

however, even though the computer name reflected the prestaged computer account in OD, it went ahead and created a new computer account, with a shortened identifier.

Feb 20, 2012 7:22 AM in response to erikejohnson

There is still something wrong with the OD binding to Snow Leopard. It appears to be something with the authentication as it binds just fine but then authentication later fails. We gave up on authentication and are simply adding the OD server to the client & then manually adding the machine to OD. We use the "golden triangle" config with AD and doing this restored our management of AD user accounts, though it isn't 100% reliable. I find it quite humorous that Apple is already announcing Mountain Lion with so many issues still remaining in Lion. Maybe people are right, maybe Lion is their Vista & Mountain Lion their Win 7.

Feb 20, 2012 1:56 PM in response to Craig Luis

I know quite a few people who use Lion with their Macs at home (we even have someone who uses it in our department). It is a very nice, stable, and usuable operating system for consumers (the person using it in our department does not bind it AD or OD, and only uses a local account). It is great as long as you don't need to use it for small scale enterprise.

However, I still stand by the method we use for binding. Our authentication and OD management is working great by using Deploystudio to accomplish the binding with scripts and bypassing the GUI. I expect any larger organization that automates this binding rather than trying to use the GUI to accomplish it has a similar experience.

I have yet to test 10.7.3, but I am not holding my breath for a fix.

open directory problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.