Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

viewing a digital copy on ATV

I want to buy the Jurassic Park Trilogy to watch on my ATV2. I can either buy it directly in the iTunes store or buy the DVD + digital copy (I don't have Blu-Ray so it would be the SD DVD). I'm a new ATV user and I have only downloaded a few TV shows so far.

I was hoping to get input from other users -- how easy it is to import a digital copy into iTunes and then view on the ATV? Is it a hassle to get it to work?

(I tried Audible once because I love audiobooks but it's been such a problem getting the books to play on my iPhone without using the separate Audible app, so I just don't buy from Audible anymore. I just hate messing with all the DRM crap.)

AppleTV 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 10:43 AM

tincha wrote:

I was hoping to get input from other users -- how easy it is to import a digital copy into iTunes and then view on the ATV? Is it a hassle to get it to work?

(I tried Audible once because I love audiobooks but it's been such a problem getting the books to play on my iPhone without using the separate Audible app, so I just don't buy from Audible anymore. I just hate messing with all the DRM crap.)

Yes Audible is a pain you can Airplay the content from itunes to AppleTV.

It is generally simple to import a digitial copy though all I have come across are SD and never HD at present.

You either have a 'digital copy' on a disc which when inserted copies to iTunes and gets tagged and authorised as belonging to your iTunes account - it is DRM protected and won't play without authorising to your computer, or when a disc is inserted it gets you to redeem a code and download from internet this was annoying as it asked for your details etc but I skipped this.

Digital copies once imported play like itunes purchases.

Often I found there's little between the dual play DVD/digital copy and triple play DVD/BluRay/Digital copy cost wise so I buy the triple play given the digital copy is SD I'll then have the Blu Ray if I want HD in the future. If you'll never use the discs you may be better off buying from the itunes store, especially if an HD digital copy is there for purchase.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2011 10:43 AM in response to tincha

tincha wrote:

Yes Audible is a pain you can Airplay the content from itunes to AppleTV.

It is generally simple to import a digitial copy though all I have come across are SD and never HD at present.

You either have a 'digital copy' on a disc which when inserted copies to iTunes and gets tagged and authorised as belonging to your iTunes account - it is DRM protected and won't play without authorising to your computer, or when a disc is inserted it gets you to redeem a code and download from internet this was annoying as it asked for your details etc but I skipped this.

Digital copies once imported play like itunes purchases.

Often I found there's little between the dual play DVD/digital copy and triple play DVD/BluRay/Digital copy cost wise so I buy the triple play given the digital copy is SD I'll then have the Blu Ray if I want HD in the future. If you'll never use the discs you may be better off buying from the itunes store, especially if an HD digital copy is there for purchase.

viewing a digital copy on ATV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.