Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari not working properly

I'm unable to use facebook and other sites like pogo on safari properly. Pogo looks like the picture attached and with facebook, I click on messages and friend requests but it doesn't expand. The same for comments and more posts. 😟

I've reset Safari numerous times and I've deleted Safari from my comp and installed it again but still being the same. Can someone help?

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 1:04 PM

Here's what I did to get my Safari running on one of my machines last week fro some help from Klaus. First I Reset Safari, then close Safari then navigate to:

Home/Library/Preferences

Look for

com.apple.Safari.plist

com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

Also:

Home/Library/Safari/ folder and remove the following two files:

history.plist

lastsession.plist

And

Go to Home/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/ and remove the contents of that folder.

(These are just webhistory files and are not required for Safari to run. However, similar to preference files, problems can arise if they have become corrupt.)

Locate the cookies.plist file that's located in the Home/Library/Cookies/ folder and remove it.

They will all be recreated next time you launch Safari.

It worked for me.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2011 1:04 PM in response to Bumblebee2537

Here's what I did to get my Safari running on one of my machines last week fro some help from Klaus. First I Reset Safari, then close Safari then navigate to:

Home/Library/Preferences

Look for

com.apple.Safari.plist

com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

Also:

Home/Library/Safari/ folder and remove the following two files:

history.plist

lastsession.plist

And

Go to Home/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/ and remove the contents of that folder.

(These are just webhistory files and are not required for Safari to run. However, similar to preference files, problems can arise if they have become corrupt.)

Locate the cookies.plist file that's located in the Home/Library/Cookies/ folder and remove it.

They will all be recreated next time you launch Safari.

It worked for me.

Oct 26, 2011 2:38 PM in response to Bumblebee2537

It's the last thing I usual look at since I have found that plists corrupt in Safari more often than not. It was something nagging me that I have seen on the forums as well as other places on the net that plugins can cause more damage while trying to load sites since their not always beta tested by their developer before their released to the extent that applications are.

I spent two hours the other day because I could'nt load .pdf's or QuickTime in the browser and narrowed it down to the "com.apple.Safari.plist" being corrupt since I would rename them and fire up Safari and if it did'nt work I would go back and revert the file and try another one. I also did this with plugins, but moved them to another temp folder, but it was the "com.apple.Safari.plist" that was corrupt. I can now load .pdf's and QuickTime video files were as I could before.

It's all trial and error.

Hope your viewing experince is enjoyable., it's what Apple wants.

safari not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.