You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsupported Browser message

I bought a MacMini with Lion server software already installed. I activated the web page and can see it from the Safari application within the MacMini. However, if I try and access the page using my laptop, I get the following message:

Unsupported Browser

Your browser is not supported.

The latest version of Safari, Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer is required to use Wiki Server on Mac OS X Lion Server. Alternatively, visit this page from an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad.

I have the latest version of Safari and Firefox installed on my laptop and get the same message with each. How do I get the Lion Server to recognize browsers from out on the net?

Thx.

David

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 1:04 PM

7 replies

Oct 31, 2011 8:48 AM in response to John Lockwood

John,

I have a MacBookPro with Lion software installed. All of my software is up to date. I have tried accessing the site (www.sii.bm) from a Windows machine outside the network and get the same message. I am wondering if it has something to do with the SonicWall that controls traffic or a setting on the MacMini Server. I note that I have not yet changed the webpage from the standard Welcome to MacOSX that comes with the server.

Once again, any help is appreciated.

Oct 31, 2011 9:29 AM in response to ddobbin

Wow that is puzzling. Lion would have Safari 5.1 as standard or 5.1.1 if upgraded. I believe I managed to connect to your server (as a test) and it displayed correctly in Safari 5.1 under Mac OS X 10.6.8 - see below. I did not have a Lion machine available to test with.

User uploaded file

I could certainly expect it to be not accessible using older versions of Internet Explorer, but it should work with a Lion client. In order to try and eliminate the SonicWALL as a cause, try accessing it internally via the LAN IP address (the internal address) of your server e.g. http://192.168.1.10 doing so will prevent the traffic going through the SonicWALL.

Oct 31, 2011 9:48 AM in response to John Lockwood

It appears that everyone will have to come over to your house to connect to my website.

I have tried accessing the site with Google Chrome, Firefox and still het the same Unsupported Browser message which leads me to believe that the issue has to be on the server side or with the SonicWall. I'll check with the SonicWall forums and see if there are any clues there.

Oct 31, 2011 3:13 PM in response to ddobbin

Backing up a little of what John has reported, I have been able to get your site with Safari 5.1 under Snow Leopard and Lion, Firefox (latest version) under Lion, and the latest version of Chrome under Lion. Opera under Lion gets the "unsupported browser" message as does IE8 on XP.

Looking at the source for the page served up to Chrome, the server is checking browser-types on load request and serving scripts and CSS based on browser-type. Without being able to see the load script, I can't tell what the minimum versions are set to.

HTH,

-Doug

Nov 2, 2011 4:42 PM in response to ddobbin

>>Is there a preference file that I can throw out and then reboot

Browser checks are usually called on page requests - the script checks the requesting agent and serves pages and CSS based on the browser type. Sometimes the script can be in the page itself, or in the page head, and makes calls to alter page elements and load alternate CSS based on the browser.

Either way, tossing a prefs file is not going to alter the behavior: it's coded into the pages.

-Doug

Unsupported Browser message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.