Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting and making a dvd - the best way is . . . ?

I have just posted a question about subtitles, but now I just need to know from the experts out there what is the best/fastest

way to export your project and make a dvd. For years I've had issues with this - from it taking too long (up to 6 hours total

for a feature), to it not looking like it did in the sequence. Any links, suggestions, tips, anything would be so great! I've

got a crazy deadline and my export is unusable!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), FCP 7.0.3, Processor 2.8 GHz Intel

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 5:21 PM

Best and fastest don't often go together.

If your Timeline is already fully rendered, the fastest method would be to play the Timeline while recording on a standalone DVD recorder in real time.

Or you can export a self-contained or reference movie, using current settings, then use the resulting file in iDVD or DVD-SP.

The best method would be to export a self-contained or reference movie and use the resulting file in Compressor; choosing one of the "Best Encode" DVD presets based on your program's duration and then use the two files created by Compressor in DVD Studio Pro for authoring and burning.

-DH

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2011 5:21 PM in response to Bempa

Best and fastest don't often go together.

If your Timeline is already fully rendered, the fastest method would be to play the Timeline while recording on a standalone DVD recorder in real time.

Or you can export a self-contained or reference movie, using current settings, then use the resulting file in iDVD or DVD-SP.

The best method would be to export a self-contained or reference movie and use the resulting file in Compressor; choosing one of the "Best Encode" DVD presets based on your program's duration and then use the two files created by Compressor in DVD Studio Pro for authoring and burning.

-DH

Oct 26, 2011 7:34 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Thanks David! I just finished two DVDS - the first one took 5 hours and it was done Exporting a QT Movie, but by deselecting "Self-contained movie." A friend suggested that this is the way to do it. Then I imported the QT into Compressor (using the "Create DVD" method). This dvd plays in my computer, but not in my dvd player. The 2nd DVD I exported took 3 hours, also exported as a QT movie, then used iDVD "One Step from Movie." This DVD played in the dvd player but was glitchy. Anyway, I guess my point is - that no matter what I try there's always some issue. Would you please tell me why you use Self-Contained and why others tell me not to use it? Thanks again!!

Oct 26, 2011 7:57 PM in response to Bempa

>This dvd plays in my computer, but not in my dvd player

Chances are you inadvertantly made an HD DVD instead of a normal DVD. DVD players will only play standard definition DVD discs. The HD DVD format was abandoned a few years ago by its developers, but HD DVDs will play in most later model Macs.

>Would you please tell me why you use Self-Contained and why others tell me not to use it?

I said you could chose either. Personally, I use a self-contained movie ... just so I'll have a finished copy of my edit that will play even if I delete the original media and render files. Reference movies will always need to have all of the original media and render files on the computer to refer to.

-DH

Exporting and making a dvd - the best way is . . . ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.