Previous 1 9 10 11 12 13 Next 188 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2015 7:04 AM by Chris CA Go to original post
  • modular747 Level 6 (18,730 points)

    Yes, if it was officially unlocked by Verizon. 

     

    No, if hacked to unlocked - updating will either re-lock to Verizon or brick the phone

  • abhi_ellugonda Level 1 (0 points)

    can i use any number of sims

  • User 89 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hello all,

     

    Im from Suriname and im reading all kind of replys about this issue. Well i have an iphone 4S i think was origanaly a Verizon Iphone 4S because when there is no simcard installed, the setting shows for carrier Verizon 15.5 If i insert a local simcard then it change to the local carrier. All carriers in Suriname are GSM networks. The phone works fine with all 3 carriers in Suriname. I can do everything with the phone i can connect it to i Tunes with no problem i can update with no problem and i can download and by apps with no problem. The phone has now been updated to OS 7.0.4 So after reading all comments i still cant figure out who`s wright and who`s wrong.

     

    If i remove the local sim from the device it keeps searching for network instead of showing the usual No sim message. As long as i put the sim back in it finds the network and works fine. Can somebody tell me if the searching error has to do with the fact that the phone is unlocked for overseas use ?

  • Entropee Level 1 (15 points)

    Since this was once a Verizon phone, I assume that, without a SIM, the phone will begin searching for a CDMA network in your area (since the Verizon network runs on CDMA). The SIM card is not necessary in order to use the iPhone 4S on the Verizon network (assuming you are a Verizon subscriber). Outside of the US, the phone can only be used with a SIM card, unless you are a Verizon subscriber, in a country that has a provider running on a CDMA network, and you wish to pay roaming charges (or you get a global calling plan from Verizon). Hope this answers your question.

  • Holly Tran Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi. I need some clarification on this scenario:

     

    I have a Verizon iphone 4s. I have 2 months left before my contract with my Verizon ends (I always in good standing with Verizon since the beginning of the contract). I plan to get the iphone 4s international GSM sim unlocked, then give it to my relative in Vietnam before the contract ends. My question is:when the contract ends, and I switch carrier, no longer use Verizon, will the iphone 4s still be international sim unlocked?

  • Charismah Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes Holly, the international sim slot will remain unlocked. Verizon has nothing to do with the unlocking of the phone. Apple does and it's not contingent on you maintaining service with Verizon  

  • Holly Tran Level 1 (0 points)

    Charismah wrote:

     

    Yes Holly, the international sim slot will remain unlocked. Verizon has nothing to do with the unlocking of the phone. Apple does and it's not contingent on you maintaining service with Verizon  

    But junglekingmowgli said on the first page (4th post from the bottom of page 1), I have to contact Verizon's global group rep to ask for unlock since I bought this phone from Verizon. Will this still be the case?

  • Chris CA Level 9 (78,695 points)

    Holly Tran wrote:

    But junglekingmowgli said on the first page (4th post from the bottom of page 1), I have to contact Verizon's global group rep to ask for unlock since I bought this phone from Verizon. Will this still the case?

    In all cases, iPhones purchased from Verizon MUST be unlocked by Verizon.

     

    -> https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/696707

  • Meg St._Clair Level 9 (50,931 points)

    Holly Tran wrote:

     

    Charismah wrote:

     

    Yes Holly, the international sim slot will remain unlocked. Verizon has nothing to do with the unlocking of the phone. Apple does and it's not contingent on you maintaining service with Verizon  

    But junglekingmowgli said on the first page (4th post from the bottom of page 1), I have to contact Verizon's global group rep to ask for unlock since I bought this phone from Verizon. Will this still the case?

    Yes, Verizon has everything to do with unlocking the phone. As long as you are a Verizon Wireless customer in good standing as you say you are, Verizon will unlock the phone. Contact the Global Support Team while you still have service with them. 800-711-8300.

     

    Once the phone is unlocked, it will remain unlocked. Just make sure that you sign out of iCloud before giving the phone to your relative. See this article:

     

    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5661

  • Charismah Level 1 (0 points)

    Verizon contacts Apple, so yes, they play the middle man. But they don't re-lock your phone because you contract expires. Your unlock is not contingent on you maintaining a Verizon contract.

  • Charismah Level 1 (0 points)

    Verizon contacts Apple, so yes, they play the middle man. But they don't re-lock your phone because you contract expires. Your unlock is not contingent on you maintaining a Verizon contract.

  • Chris CA Level 9 (78,695 points)

    Charismah wrote:

    Verizon contacts Apple, so yes, they play the middle man.

    earlier that day...

    Charismah wrote:

    Verizon has nothing to do with the unlocking of the phone

  • Meg St._Clair Level 9 (50,931 points)

    Charismah wrote:


    Your unlock is not contingent on you maintaining a Verizon contract.

    Which is a very different statement than:

     

    Verizon has nothing to do with the unlocking of the phone.

    from your original post. That was the one that confused Holly.

  • Meg St._Clair Level 9 (50,931 points)

    Chris CA, we've got to stop meeting like this!

  • Charismah Level 1 (0 points)

    Her question was about Verizon locking it when her contract is up so for all intent and purpose, no, they don't have anything to do with it. Her contract ending won't affect her international unlock.

     

     

    <Edited by Host>