Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Messaging and iMessage not sending texts / not receiving texts on 4S

I have had this problem since I got the 4S. The green and blue SEND buttons are all grayed out, either when sending SMS or with iMessage to another iPhone. The only way I've been able to fix this problem is to do a complete reset of all settings on my iPhone, and you know what a pain it is to redo all of them including my long signature for mail? I have had to do this twice already, and now need to do it a third time!! I have the 64GB version.

Also, I often cannot receive texts from some people using the new iPhone 4S.

Need some help here please, before I contemplate returning this device.

I won't even touch on the fact that the Sprint service is pathetically slow. That's another issue.

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 2:46 PM

1 reply

Nov 16, 2011 2:45 PM in response to Bellatone

Having the same problem here. Still actively looking for a fix.

Below is a summary of what I done so far. Perhaps one of these step might work for you?

As I'm not from the states, I didn't try the AT&T or Verizon steps. You might like to do that if u are based over there.

Check Signal - Done

Reset Network Settings - Done

Check Carrier - Done (Am Able to send Text via old Iphone 4)

Verify that every phone number in your contacts list includes an area code. (Done)

When sending to existing contacts, ensure that your contacts include the full phone number, and not just the information needed to dial locally.(Done)

If you have recently ported your number from another carrier, please contact your current carrier to verify that the porting process has completed successfully. (Done: This is an old carrier, it's not an issue as I am able to use the same sim card to send text via my old iphone 4)

Perform a full restore back to factory original setting (Done)

Nothing seem to work for me at the moments, I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue

Text Messaging and iMessage not sending texts / not receiving texts on 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.