Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

question about frame rate

I three quarters of the way through an iMovie in 16:9 cinema with no theme but I inadvertently selected 24 fps when I created the project. I was wondering why it wasn't as smooth as some of the other movies I've done. Then I noticed this one was set to 24 fps. How can I change the frame rate to 30 fps? When I go into project properties, the frame rate is greyed out.

I have QuickTime Pro installed and can export the movie using QuickTime which allows me to choose a different frame rate (29.97). Would this work to smooth it out a bit or does it all have to be set in iMovie first? I'm not much of a video guy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

27-Inch iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core i5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8 GB RAM

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 11:54 PM

Gerard James wrote:

... can export the movie using QuickTime which allows me to choose a different frame rate (29.97). Would this work to smooth it out a bit ...

it will.

what it does, it 'spreads' the 24 frames onto 29.97 frames (per second) by generating 'inbetween' frames by simply blending them. this blend will be noticed as a 'smooth' impression.

although, it doesn't do wonders ... 😉

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2011 11:54 PM in response to Gerard James

Gerard James wrote:

... can export the movie using QuickTime which allows me to choose a different frame rate (29.97). Would this work to smooth it out a bit ...

it will.

what it does, it 'spreads' the 24 frames onto 29.97 frames (per second) by generating 'inbetween' frames by simply blending them. this blend will be noticed as a 'smooth' impression.

although, it doesn't do wonders ... 😉

Oct 27, 2011 10:25 AM in response to Gerard James

Gerard James wrote:

...I take it that the frame rate of an iMovie project can't be changed once it's been set?

correct.

but upon Export using Quicktime in the many option you'e allowd to set 'any' frame rate.

as said. that does no magic - 24fps gets 'poured upon' 30fps or whatever ... it doesn'r add any non-existing frames, just blended ones.

sames does JES Deinterlacer, but it blends 'better' imho than the Quicktime enigine.-

question about frame rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.