Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server issues

I recently set up a Lion Server to test it out as a home server but I seem to be running into a lot of issues. All computers are running OS X 10.7.2

What I'm attempting to accomplish:

I'm attempting to create a network test user with a remote home folder (on the server) and log in to that test users account from my macbook pro. I would like that account to use mobile sync to copy over documents and pictures whenever the user logs on and off. I would also like to be able to VPN into my server while out and about to screen share & share files. This test user is simply for testing purposes as of now, once I get it all working I want to set this same config up for my current local users.

What I've done:

I've configured the server to manage domain accounts, and given my server a static IP of 192.168.1.105. I configured it's hostname as a Internet hostname and registered that hostname with Dyndns.com pointing to my External IP address. I also set up my Linksys router with the DynDNS information so that it updates my Dyndns account with my external IP, and port forwarded every VPN port on Apple's list of ports. Server admin tools have been installed, DNS is turned on, and its configured as an Open Directory Master. My macbook pro's dns settings are configured so that it sends everything through the server, and the server is set up to forward all inquries out of my router that it isnt authoritative for. The MBP is bound to the Open Directory and is allowing network accounts to log in. I set up a shared folder on the server that can be used as a home folder.

Issues I've run into:

My network account (Test user) cant log in on my MBP unless it creates a local home folder, which I dont want it to do (i want it to use the shared folder i set up on the server). When I attempt to log in I either get an error, or it shakes, not allowing it to log in. I cannot get the VPN to work, but I'm not too worried about it at this point, I'd rather get the users up and running first. I've spent a ton of time attempting to figure this out and its getting very frustrating. I followed the setup guide provided by wegotserved.com and anandtech.com. If anyone has any suggestions, or see's something I'm doing wrong I appreciate any input.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 5:07 AM

2 replies

Lion Server issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.