Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

temperamental Mail won't send email

At times when I simply try to reply an email that I have received, Mail gives an error saying that I should select another server. If however I click "edit message" and I copy the content of the email, I close that email (meaning deleting it) and then click reply again on the original email and paste everything in, 90% of the times Mail will simply go ahead and send it. Why? Sometimes I just have to save the email into drafts, send a test email to myself followed by the trying to send the drafts email and it's sent. I don't get it. Is there a bug in Mail or is it my email service provider and how do I find out this problem? I already contacted them and they went like "yeah, you can't write Ltd in your description. Duh?? It has been always like this for years.. I can tell it's not the ISP because at home I have a different ISP and I have the same problem. I also have the same problem both on my iMac and my MacBookPro. All emails are set up in an IMAP configuration so they are in sync with each other. What do you think? Mail problem? Mail setting? Server problem (bluehost) ? ISP problem (WharfT&T or iCable in HK)?

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 7:02 AM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2011 9:41 PM in response to BassPlaya

OK, let's try a couple weird things...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

Is that Interface dragged to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON?

The Interface that connects to the Internet, needs to be drug to the top of System Preferences>Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON.

10.5.x/10.6.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Secondly, rename the computer ib System Preferences>Sharing... no Spaces or strange characters,

Dec 21, 2012 3:00 PM in response to BassPlaya

We have the same issue in our small office of 10 people. 90% of the time, email works fine -- sending, receiving, replying, etc., but once in a while, for no reason, it will suddenly not send. This means that the sending status bar doesn't appear, rather a message pops up informing us that the email could not be sent through the selected server. I think there is a problem with the software, since I can still use the internet, still send email from my personal gmail account and still access the server. This is a serious annoyance in the middle of a busy work day. Sometimes I can find a work-around, but sometimes not.

temperamental Mail won't send email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.