Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iMac screen keep switching off / going black?

After about one half hour of use my new iMac screen switches off / goes black.

The screen can be switched on by pressing the power button on the back on the machine a few times. It remains lit for about 20 seconds. This can comntinue for about half an hour when it stops switching off or when I give up.

I have conrtacted Apple but they have been unable to solve the problem.

The machine is just not fit for purpose as I cannot use it for work.

It appears from the internet that this is a recurring imac problem.

Please, what am I to do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 7:18 AM

3 replies

Oct 27, 2011 7:53 AM in response to iain186

Call AppleCare (number is in the manual) and then request to speak to Customer Service. Be patient, organized and articulate and they will transfer you. When you get to speakt to someone then explain your problem and ask for their help. You should have all your receipts, invoices, trouble ticket numbers etc available for reference.

You can also take to an Apple Store in Spain, while this may not be convenient at least then an Apple person can see the machine and work on it.

Why does my iMac screen keep switching off / going black?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.