Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64"

Dear all,

I am having some troubles compiling fortran f90 codes and I really hope someone among you can enlighten me. Please note that I am not the author of the code. After discussing with him, it appears we have the same system (compiler, OS), and he can successfully compile while I can't. Which is slightly frustrating. We couldn't figure out what is happening, so here I am.

First, some details about my system:

- OS X 10.7.2, with XCode 4.1

gfortran-4.2 was downloaded and installed from: http://r.research.att.com/tools/ (gfortran-lion-5666-3.pkg)

and a 'gfortran-4.2 -v' (which is in /usr/bin/gfortran-4.2) returns:

Using built-in specs.

Target: i686-apple-darwin11

Configured with: /Volumes/Media/Builds/gcc-5666.3/build/obj/src/configure --disable-checking --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++,fortran --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.2/ --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=i686-apple-darwin11 --program-prefix=i686-apple-darwin11- --host=x86_64-apple-darwin11 --target=i686-apple-darwin11 --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.2.1

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

A 'gcc -v' (being in /usr/bin as well) returns:

Using built-in specs.

Target: i686-apple-darwin11

Configured with: /private/var/tmp/llvmgcc42/llvmgcc42-2335.15~25/src/configure --disable-checking --enable-werror --prefix=/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2 --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-prefix=llvm- --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.2/ --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=i686-apple-darwin11 --enable-llvm=/private/var/tmp/llvmgcc42/llvmgcc42-2335.15~25/dst-llvmCore/Deve loper/usr/local --program-prefix=i686-apple-darwin11- --host=x86_64-apple-darwin11 --target=i686-apple-darwin11 --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.15.00)

When it comes to the compilation, here's what I have:

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:

"__gfortran_internal_malloc64", referenced from:

__bvls_mod(bool, void, long, short)in bvls_dp.o

_dogleg_ in minpack.o

_fdjac1_ in minpack.o

_fdjac2_ in minpack.o

_hybrd_ in minpack.o

_hybrd1_ in minpack.o

_hybrj_ in minpack.o

"__gfortran_internal_free", referenced from:

__bvls_mod(bool, void, long, short)in bvls_dp.o

_dogleg_ in minpack.o

_fdjac1_ in minpack.o

_fdjac2_ in minpack.o

_hybrd_ in minpack.o

_hybrd1_ in minpack.o

_hybrj_ in minpack.o

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I tried to compile the code with the '-m32' option, but then I have some different messages, and it is still not working:

ld: warning: ignoring file datatypes.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

ld: warning: ignoring file nat_const.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

After reading a few things on different forums (e.g., https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2145325?answerId=10137389022#10137389022 ), it looks like it is a problem of libraries.

But I must confess I have no clue how to check and/or fix this kind of problems.

Hope someone can help me, that would be very much appreciated,

Best,

Johan

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 7:01 AM

There are no replies.

"Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.