Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a Master Password preventing me from start-up options?

I set a master password for security purposes and I did NOT have FileVault enabled. It has become a nuisance since I can not use Single-User mode or verbose start-up mode so I tried to just get rid of it. I followed instructions on another web site that said I need to delete two files at:

/Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.cer

/Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.keychain

I deleted both of those and restarted. Now when I go to System Preferences>Security>File Vault, it says A Master Password is not set for this computer. That sounds good but when I restart and hold Command-S to get into single-user mode, it just starts up as normal. Same goes for Command-V for verbose, and Command-Option-P-R for zapping the PRAM. Can't do any of those.

The master password must be still active because when I restart holding Option, it still asks me for the master password. How can I fully remove this thing?!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 12:02 PM

That sounds like you set a password in the boot firmware:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

3 replies

Is a Master Password preventing me from start-up options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.