Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This isn't a question but rather a warning to anyone using the new OS for iphone 4. The imessage uses up your data plan like crazy. I called Apple about it and they said no it's not doing it. I called AT

The new OS is burning through my data plan like crazy and here's why. Imessage uses your data plan and not your texting plan. So every time you send a text message to someone with an iphone it uses imessage and it uses your data, not your text plan. I couldn't figure out why I was burning through so much of my data plan so quickly. I called Apple and they said, no it's not the data plan doing it. I called AT&T and they said, yes, the imessage uses data instead of your texting plan if you are texting to another iphone. Also, the new OS runs your apps all the time, even when you aren't using them. So if you are not near wifi your apps are running and burning your data plan. The AT&T guy took me through the steps to turn off the apps. You can still use them but they won't be running constantly. Seriously Apple, you should let people know this. It does say it in the fine print on the website "data rates may apply" under imessage but most people will never read this. So my data plan started on October 10th and it's already at 175 megabytes and I only have a 200 megabyte plan. I've never used more than 50 to 75 megabytes in a month. Apple get it together and be honest with people and tell them. Quit denying the problem. Most people have probably not even discovered this yet. Wait till you get your bill.

iPhone 4, iOS 5, WARNING

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 11:53 AM

11 replies

Oct 27, 2011 12:06 PM in response to kimmie92592

I thought this was pretty common knowledge. iMessage has never denied it has to use a data connection to work. It will use wifi if you are on wifi, but if not, sure, it will use cellular data. It has to send the message somehow so i don't see what the mystery is? How did you think it was sending out messages?

http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

It says it pretty plainly - send unlimited messages via wifi or 3G. Obviously, if wifi is unavailable, it will use 3G.

Oct 27, 2011 12:11 PM in response to kimmie92592

Text messages are tiny whether iMessage or real - unless every text message has pictures attached. Yes, iMessage uses data plan when not on WiFi but I, personally, would find it hard to believe that iMessage is using up all that data - did you previously have an unlimited message plan? It would take tons of messages to use up 170 mb in 2 weeks.

There are many reasons for battery dying quickly and plenty of threads about it on this forum, but most apps don't really run all the time even when they are in the "double press home button" bottom of the screen. That means they are loaded but not runnning. If you get rid of them as the vendor said and then reuse them - they will be back in that area. Again, I doubt those are the reasons your battery is dying that quickly. Look at all the threads about this issue with some of the recommendations.

Oct 27, 2011 12:31 PM in response to kimmie92592

I find this interesting because I have used less data this month (my billing cycle started on October 5th) than I have used in awhile. And yes, I've been using iMessage to communicate with my husband. I always turn my apps off in the multitasking bar. I'm liking iOS 5, mainly because of the new notifications (love the banners--no more annoying pop ups).

Oct 27, 2011 7:35 PM in response to kimmie92592

It's not really common knowledge because I've talked to several people today and none of them knew about it. Also, when I called Apple they said no the new OS is not using data. Totally wrong answer. You'd think they'd know about it and at least tell people. The people who are going to be hit by this are people like me with the 200mb plans. I just think it's best to spread the word so people can know what's happening. I still don't know how I went through so much data in such a short period of time. It's not happening anymore though, not since I fixed everything up last night.

Oct 28, 2011 5:27 AM in response to kimmie92592

kimmie92592 wrote:

It's not really common knowledge because I've talked to several people today and none of them knew about it. Also, when I called Apple they said no the new OS is not using data. Totally wrong answer. You'd think they'd know about it and at least tell people. The people who are going to be hit by this are people like me with the 200mb plans. I just think it's best to spread the word so people can know what's happening. I still don't know how I went through so much data in such a short period of time. It's not happening anymore though, not since I fixed everything up last night.

If you are using a free wifi connection, there are no data charges with iMessage. But in an area where you did NOT have a wifi connection, of course it used 3G and of course you got charged for it (or had it count against your plan limits).

I'll ask again - without a wifi connection, just what did you think was happening? How did you think your iPhone was able to magically send a message WITHOUT using any data connection? A little bit of rational thought would have made you realize that there was no way, over a 3G connection (which is a service provided by your cellular service provider, NOT Apple), that you can send or receive ANYTHING without your service provider's plan picking it up.

Nothing abut iMessage has ever hinted that it can, in any way, bypass your service provider when NOT using a wifi connection.

This isn't a question but rather a warning to anyone using the new OS for iphone 4. The imessage uses up your data plan like crazy. I called Apple about it and they said no it's not doing it. I called AT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.