Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring "On my Mac" calendars to "iCloud"

I want to start using iCloud to sync my calendars. I see that I now have the "on my mac" calendars that I have been using for the past few years, and I also have two new "iCloud" calendars. So how do I move the "on my mac" calendars to become "iCloud" calendars"? Or do I (can I?) move the appointments in those calendars?

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 1:56 PM

I would select the "on your Mac" calendar (do this one calendar at a time), and FILE/Export.../Export.

Then select your iCloud Calendar and FILE/IMPORT and select your file that you just exported.

37 replies

Jan 27, 2017 10:49 AM in response to Daniel Ebeck

T.Y.!!!!!! how simple was this?! wasted hours before finding this post!! All events synced.

This is my gripe about Apple: when I have a problem, I search forever to find an answer, & feel like I'm on my own to figure things out using the internet. Maybe I'm not searching correctly - but there's got to be a better way, in light of the fact that I live an hr. & a half from a genius.

Oct 27, 2011 2:09 PM in response to DanK

You need to export each calendar individually and save it on your desktop. Then when you import it again to iCal create the new calendar as an iCloud calendar. It should transfer all of the events in that one calendar. You will probably have to do that a couple times since you most likely have multiple calendars.

Nov 5, 2011 3:01 AM in response to DanK

It wasn't working for me, but is now.

Open iCal.

Go to Sys Prefs >> iCloud.

Turn off Calendars.

Go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.

Check that the calendars are not present.

Go back to Sys Prefs and turn Calendars back on.

Choose Merge.

Wait whilst it "Upgrades" your calendars.

Once it has fininshed, check that they appear on the iCloud.com calendars.

Go back to iCal and click the Calendars button to see them all listed under iCloud.

I had a problem previously where it either hung whilst upgrading or the process finished without moving the calendars. I just tried it again and it worked.

Mar 18, 2012 7:38 PM in response to Daniel Ebeck

This sounds great, but is there a way where I can do something similar on the iOS devices themselves? The situation I have is that my new iPad has the calendars from my Mac on it (plus the iCloud ones but I'd like to merge them) while my iPhone's calendars got erased and just have iCloud on them. I don't have iCloud on my Mac because it's too old to support Lion.

Daniel Ebeck wrote:

It wasn't working for me, but is now.

Open iCal.

Go to Sys Prefs >> iCloud.

Turn off Calendars.

Go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.

Check that the calendars are not present.

Go back to Sys Prefs and turn Calendars back on.

Choose Merge.

Wait whilst it "Upgrades" your calendars.

Once it has fininshed, check that they appear on the iCloud.com calendars.

Go back to iCal and click the Calendars button to see them all listed under iCloud.

I had a problem previously where it either hung whilst upgrading or the process finished without moving the calendars. I just tried it again and it worked.

May 2, 2012 9:22 AM in response to DanK

I have the exact oposite problem. I don't have a mobile device just my mac, I thought it could be nice to access my calendars via anywehre so I let icloud do it's thing... then I had to turn it off so it deleted all my "on my mac" calendars, after turning it on again I get all the calendars but "iCloud" not "On my mac"

Any Ideas on how to get them back to my mac?

Jul 10, 2012 10:12 AM in response to DanK

Hi Guys,

I had this same problem, and this fixed it, so thanks! But my bigger question is that since this calendar was basically just copy and pasted to icloud, won't that mean that updates to the subscription won't sync?

My calendar is for my school, and they update it almost daily/weekly with changes. Will this no longer happen?

Transferring "On my Mac" calendars to "iCloud"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.