Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verify and Repair Disk Error Mess. Meaning?

Hi I have a probable hard disk failure in progress on my 2006 24" iMac.

It crashed again, and the disk name changed from what I named it back to Disk0s2. Verify Disk gave me these errors:

invalid key length

invalid record count

catalog file entry not found for extent

The volume could not be verified completely

Repair Disk gave me these errors:

invalid sibling link

invalid node structure (about a dozen of these)

invalid key length

This is the third time I had a freeze, did a force shutdown and then had an unresponsive disk.

Yesterday, reinstallation of Snow Leopard (complete and full install) took around 12 hours. An hour or two of that was for an easy erase of the disk.

I'm trying to zero the hard drive but the time estimate is FIVE DAYS. Is that legit?

Question:

What are these errors?

Is this likely a hard disk failure?

Is it some kind of processor failure?

Finally:

Would it be possible to run OS X from a portable HD connected by firewire?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 5:20 PM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2011 6:05 PM in response to M4rk8

Those errors are data structure errors, and as mentioned, Disk Warrior is one option to repair them. TechTool Pro can also repair them, however, Disk Warrior tends to be the program of choice. If, for some reason, Disk Warrior can't fix it, you can try reformatting the disk (write zero's to it), however, you'll probably be on the verge of needing a new hard drive.

If you can, download Smart Utility from http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php which will give you a good readout on the health of your hard drive, based on the SMART indicators.

Oct 31, 2011 4:03 PM in response to M4rk8

I just wanted to say, that SMART utility in BGreg's link there is REALLY good. My mac SMART status indicator still says "Verified" which is supposed to be okay. SMART Utility showed that the disk has bad sectors and is failing. In fact, it's now kaput and I'm running off a portable.

Oct 31, 2011 4:13 PM in response to M4rk8

Question:

Smart Utility shows

Pending Bad Sectors: 764

Removed Bad Sectors 974

Total Errors 1058

Last Error Type Uncorrectable

Overall Smart Status FAILING (which I find amusingly optimistic since the disk can't seem to hold it's data anymore).

My question (and forgive me for not knowing this): is this something that Disk Warrior could repair? I honestly don't think so, but I really don't know what Disk Warrior is capable of and I honestly don't know how bad a "bad sector" is. I imagine that after 5 years of loyal service, my mac HD is simply worn out and needs to be replaced. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Verify and Repair Disk Error Mess. Meaning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.