Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mobile safari no longer able to authenticate with client certificate in ios 5...

was working in 4.3.5 on iPad, but no more. Imported the cert with ipcu but Safari seems to not recognize that there is a cert installed. All certs are using sha1

iPad, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 5:45 PM

6 replies

Oct 28, 2011 6:09 AM in response to cmfromcolumbus

Some additional info - the imported certificate works fine for Activesync, VPN, and WiFi, so I know it is installed correctly. When connecting to a web server that requires the certificate, the following is logged in the IPCU console:

MobileSafari[368] <Warning>: no itentities, but we have a challenge <NSURLAuthenticationChallenge: 0x2eeea0>

So to me, it looks like the Web server is requesting the client certificate, but mobilesafari does not see the identity certificate I imported.

Nov 16, 2011 5:28 AM in response to cokstan

After lots of testing a colleague of mine found something interesting:
When you get a certificate from a root CA it works fine in Safari, as soon as you issue it from a subordinate CA it doesn't work anymore. We haven't investigated in detail yet, but at least it's a first clue.

If this really turns out to be the problem I'd say it's a bug, and most CAs have a highly secured root that will never issue client certficates so until this is fixed we are out of luck.

mobile safari no longer able to authenticate with client certificate in ios 5...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.