Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad IOS 5 update failed AND restore fails

I went to update my iPad to IOS 5 and got some errors that it failed and I must restore it. I then went to restore it and that failed with a similar vague error code. My iPad now just shows the "plug into iTunes" picture with my only option to restore via iTunes which has failed several times. I can't figure out how to either fix the restore or at least set it up as a new device and reinstall my apps, songs, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kevin

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 10:36 AM

12 replies

Oct 28, 2011 11:02 AM in response to kevinc_big_apple_fan

Kevin, I'm in the same situation.

My iPad 1 worked fine until trying to upgrade to iOS5. iTunes doesn't show that it's even connected. Then it connected long enough to try upgrading, said it couldn't upgrade because of an error, said I needed to restore, tried that-didn't work, now I have a "plug into iTunes" picture that won't go away. Tried a hard reset several times, restarted the iMac, iTunes 10 is on the iMac - I'm totally at a loss. My iPad won't even shut off when I tried to power it down. Hoping that someone at APPLE will HAVE MERCY on all of us who are having issues after trying to upgrade to iOS5 and iTunes 10. BTW, my iPad is a 64gb wifi/3g that has worked up until the "upgrades."

Good luck to all!

Oct 28, 2011 3:03 PM in response to kevinc_big_apple_fan

Mine has done the same ,it was fine before. Went the Apple Store... They couldn't fix it either and wanted me to pay Apple 350.00 flat repair.... Really not happy, I don't see how the is my fault ... So now it's a 600.00 ...year and 1/2 old paper weight or a 950.00 iPad 1 ...all because I tried to load the new OS! I have a call into Apple but they have yet to return it .... Not pleased

Oct 28, 2011 3:03 PM in response to kevinc_big_apple_fan

I saw on another thread that plugging the iPad directly to the computer instead of my USB hub worked, and I tried it and I'm now in the middle of a restore, further along than before. I think this is going to solve it. Strange because I've been using this hub with my iphones/ipods for years. The apple tech I talked to said that IOS 5 is much larger, so it can cause problems with USB hubs when not seen before. For those out there having trouble, give this a try.

Kevin

Oct 29, 2011 7:54 PM in response to kevinc_big_apple_fan

One more thing, Kevin and others: give it several good tries, even beyond common sense. I tried to download IOS 5 four times before I succeeded. Each time it would have different "errors" or issues. Once the screen turned black and the iPad stopped for a while! It took days and days but the enormous files finally successfully downloaded and everything is fine now.

Nov 4, 2011 4:08 AM in response to kevinc_big_apple_fan

Is there a fix to iOS 5 upgrade issues? I am on Windows 7 64bit.

I am getting iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1611).. exact same situation as described in this article http://blog.torh.net/2011/10/16/error-1611-upgrading-to-ios5/

Googled and tried:-

* connecting to different usb. iTunes was not able to pick up the iPad when I tried connecting it to the USBs on my cpu (they work fine when I connect my usb drive to it) but only the two usb that's on my monitor.

* checked host file for sc.apple.com but didn't find it there.

* uninstalled itunes & related apps following the recommendation from this site http://howtouninstallitunes.com/ I used CCleaner for the registry cleaning.

Help greatly apprepriated.

Feb 8, 2016 1:03 AM in response to kevinc_big_apple_fan

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I work for a small school in Japan. They were donated a ton of ipads, but all of them are running ios4 which does not allow us to download any of the apps we want to use for teaching. So, I attempted to update the ipad, but itunes said it required a restore. So, I attempted to restore it. Now it is stuck in the restore mode just as you have said.

Our school does not have the funds to buy new ipads.

Does anyone have a solution this problem?

Yes- it is connected directly to itunes.

Yes- itunes is newley downloaded with all recent updates

I even created a new apple account specifically for the school and connected that to itunes.

Any help would be much appreciated, by the staff and the students.

Thank you!

iPad IOS 5 update failed AND restore fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.