Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2-sided Printing to a Canon IR 3220 (networked)

Hi all,

I'm trying to resolve a situation with my small office regarding 2-sided printing to a networked Canon IR 3220, as in the option for this in "layout" is greyed out and I cannot find anything that will allow me to turn it on despite the fact that the copier can in fact print 2-sided. I've combed through the discussion forum hoping to find an answer and have not been able to. Here's the specs:

Based on what i have read and examined on the printer, I do not have ImagePASS (no metal box close to the ethernet connection).

There are three computers that are networked to the 3220. One is an iMac running Tiger, one is an iMac running Leopard, and one is a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.

All three computers have no issues actually printing to the 3220. We all regularly send jobs to there. The printer is currently being networked via Appletalk which i did by using the standard Print & Fax. In the "Default" list, the two forms of printing to the printer (Printer_S and Printer_D) appeared with a "kind" listing of "Appletalk", and i just picked that from the list.

Of the three computers, the Mac Mini running Snow Leopard used to be able to do 2-sided printing, but this option disappeared. I believe this is a driver issue. Initially, I believe i set all of the printers up using just the Generic Postscript option because the driver was not installed and full functionality of the printer specs were not essential to our use of it. The Mac Mini had an option with the Geneic Postscript to say "Duplex Printing" which my co-worked checked, which allowed the "Layout" option of "2-sided" to be not grayed out (although my memory on this is fuzzy - i may have picked a driver that was "close enough" that offered the Duplex option). On my computer running Leopard and my other coworker's computer running Tiger, there was no duplex checkbox option for the Generic Postscript, so we did not have the ability to print this way automatically.

Because of a separate issue concerning the ability to print on Tabloid paper that the Generic Postscript could not handle, I downloaded and installed the 3.40 driver found here: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/office/color_imagerunner_copiers/color_imageru nner_c3200_c3220_c2620/color_imagerunner_c2620_c3220#DriversAndSoftware

This resolved the issue of being able to print on tabloid (as well as other issues that we had just dealt with by workarounds), but this has also eliminated the Mac Mini from being able to print 2-sided directly anymore - now his option for 2-sided in the Layout menu of printing is always greyed out.

Is there another driver or something else that I need to do in order to make 2-sided printing functionality happen?

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

-darknotezero

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 1:50 PM

18 replies

Apr 23, 2017 12:04 AM in response to PAHU

Worked fine.........Thanks a lot PAHU but all please do note that:

After following PAHU's instructions, the Two-sided has still remained grayed out but in "Layout" drop down but an entry "Duplex Printing & Margin" now showed up and within that by ticking "Duplex Printing" I can now print two-sided and be Green!!

PAHU may I suggest you append this line <<"Two sided" printing option grayed out in "Layout" drop down of Canon printer>> to your question to make it pop up in searches as most of the other advises presume that "Two sided" printing option is available and not grayed out

Nov 29, 2011 11:18 AM in response to darknotezero

Folks, I'm having the opposite problem.

In the office we have a Canon Image Runner C2020 (IR-ADVC2020). It seems that the Mac driver (UFRII, v2.30) for this printer sets the default state to 2-sided printing! I need to set the default to 1-sided, but it doesn't work. The only work-around I have found is to open an application (say, Word), load a document, then print the document. But just before printing I have to go into File -->Print -->Finishing, and change the default to 1-sided. I then do a save-as and create a new preset!

Unless I am missing the obvious, this is a lot of extra keystrokes for the end-user. Is there no way to put the default to 1-sided printing and have it stay in the default preset?

Nov 29, 2011 12:29 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua, thanks. I'll jump on a Mac and take a look. I'll ensure that Last Used is being used.

I had a quick chat with Canon Tech Support. Indeed, the default preset for this driver version is 2-sided, and it can't be changed. The only work-around is creating a new preset. Why on earth Canon wrote that into the driver is a mystery. Perhaps it's part of corporate branding:"Go green, don't waste paper".

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2011 12:44 PM in response to jason paikowsky

The 2 sided default can be changed via CUPS.

To access CUPS, open Safari and type

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

This will open the CUPS Printer administration page and will show all the printers currently configured on the Mac. For the printer that you wish to change the defaults for, click its name in the Queue Name column.

Clicking the printer name will open the printer administration page for that printer. Here you need to click on the Administration drop menu. From the Administration drop menu you need to select Set Default Options. This will show a new page with four menu headings (links); Options Installed, General, Banners and Policies. Select General.

With the General options displayed you will see Print Style and the drop menu showing the default of "2-sided printing". Change this to "1-sided printing" and then scroll down to the bottom of this page where you will see the "Set Default Options" button. Press this and you will then be prompted to authenticate. Enter your Mac's admin full account name and password and OK. This will save the selected change as the default and you can now test this change.

Dec 1, 2011 8:33 AM in response to PAHU

I thought I had solved this, but on one particular Macbook I'm having a problem. This 'book is running OSX10.5.8, and CUPS v1.3.1.1

I can get into CUPS and change single-sided to double-sided. But there is no obvious way to save the change. There is a Set Default Options, but no prompt for authentication. The change is not saved. I haven't looked at the user login, but I'm sure they are not already in as root and even if they were I assume there should be an authentication prompt.

I also run a Linux box and when I'm in CUPS on it, I'm not having this issue.

Ideas?

Cheers.

Dec 1, 2011 5:49 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you, PAHU and BDAqua. My first step after not getting the expected results was to do some searching. I found a discussion thread which said we MUST use Safari to get into CUPS. I realized that I had used Firefox on this particular MacBook, which I assumed was the reason why I got didn't get an authentication prompt. Unfortunately the MacBook user left the office before I could try again.

I may be adding a new variable here, and ending up making things more complicated than they need to be. Remember that the CUPS version I saw, when getting into it via the localhost was not the same one I saw on other Macs. I also used Safari on those other Macs, and forgot to use it on this particular 'book. As well, the other Macs on which I have successfully changed the 1-sided to 2-sided as the default were all on OSX6.x

The screen image posted by BDAqua is the CUPS that I was working with on this MacBook. But I did not get an authentication prompt, presumably because I was not using Safari.

Have a look at this: http://superuser.com/questions/183553/cant-change-cups-settings-on-mac-os-x

From that thread, this was the interesting thing for me:

"I've also found authentication only works correctly if you're using Safari - it fails in Chrome and Firefox. (Older versions in Tiger and Leopard worked fine with other browsers)"

and

"The reason this only works in Safari is because the Set-Cookie is considered malformed (trailing semi-colon, I believe). Different browsers treat this kind of error differently."

Thanks guys. I look forward to hearing what you think.

2-sided Printing to a Canon IR 3220 (networked)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.