Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing notes after recording from midi keyboard

I just connected my Yamaha CP300 keyboard to my Macbook via a USB cord. Everything's working fine - I got the computer to detect the midi, and garage band has no problem recognizing it either. The problem is actually recording what I play.

Playing simple, one-note melodies is completely fine, but whenever I try to play chords or complex rhythms and record it, the playback either changes the tempo/rhythm of the notes, completely eliminates one or more notes from a chord, or misses chords entirely. The weird part is on the piano roll/score tab at the bottom I can see the notes that should be played, but they make no sound when I'm listening to what I've recorded.

I've looked around at different help forums but I can't find any answers. I really want to be able to record more than just extremely simple melodies.

Help? 😕

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 11:17 PM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2017 4:16 AM in response to MattiMattMatt

It's kinda strange because, i can see the notes but it doesn't play them. I've tried to modify the velocity and such but nothing seems to work. I can also record in my piano itself, but there it is playing fine. (downside is; i can't export to usb internally).

It also looks like my computer is lagging. Do you think it a problem on my computer?

I'm using a 2010 macbook pro (core 2 duo and 4GB RAM)

Thanks

Oct 29, 2011 6:36 AM in response to camiiclaire

Logically, the problem is in either the keyboard, the computer, or the cable.

Assuming it's in the keyboard, perhaps the MIDI stream is confused as it exits.

If you still see the notes in GB that aren't being played, is the velocity so light on them that it's not triggering? can you go to the editor (scissor tool, bottom left), increase the velocity for the notes, and see if they play?

Can you do a "restore to defaults" with your Yamaha keyboard? I've found that sometimes that fixes problem keyboards.

Often the MIDI cable itself is the culprit. Can you try substituting a different cable and see if that helps?

Anyway, my guess is the problem is external to the computer, but if it is in the computer, you could always try standard troubleshooting such as deleting all GB preferences.

Missing notes after recording from midi keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.