Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Auto-Connect?

Is there a way to set my macbook pro (osx 10.6.8) so that it will auto-connect to previously paired bluetooth devices when it starts up or wakes from sleep? I can only figure out how to manually reconnect.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4, ATV 2, iPod 5G

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 8:38 AM

BTW, I also did the smc reset, but I can't tell if it worked or not since my macbook made no kind of response when I was holding down the power button.

Either way, I'm still having the same problem. My speakers continue to be paired but not connected until I open the bluetooth dropdown menu, click the name of the device, then click "use as audio device"

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2011 8:38 AM in response to Tsac77

BTW, I also did the smc reset, but I can't tell if it worked or not since my macbook made no kind of response when I was holding down the power button.

Either way, I'm still having the same problem. My speakers continue to be paired but not connected until I open the bluetooth dropdown menu, click the name of the device, then click "use as audio device"

Oct 31, 2011 8:20 AM in response to X423424X

Once more question: My speakers are set as "favorites" even though I'm not quite sure how that happened. You also mentioned that I should set bluetooth prefs so that devices are discoverable. In my prefs, I only see one check box marked "discoverable" but I think that means that it makes my macbook a discoverabe device. Are you saying there's a way to make outside devices discoverable within my macbook's prefs?

Oct 31, 2011 10:22 AM in response to Tsac77

I was referring to the the single "discoverable" checkbox in the BT preferences. It refers to (all) the BT devices you want to be paired with your machine. It's saying to allow the machine to find ("discover") BT devices attempting to pair with it. Try it and see if that changes anything.

By the way there is no explicit feedback from an smc reset.

Oct 31, 2011 12:05 PM in response to X423424X

I've checked and unchecked that "discoverable" box multiple times in my own troubleshooting, but when I get home to my macbook after work, I'll try checking it and leaving it checked permenantly.

BTW, when my macbook falls asleep with the screen still open, the bluetooth doens't lose connection when I wake it up. It's only when the screen is closed (or the macbook is restarted) that the bluetooth loses connection and doens't reconnect upon wake up.

If my bluetooth were working properly, how long should it take to re-connect with my speakers when I open my MacBook?

Nov 5, 2011 11:03 AM in response to X423424X

First off, thank you so much for all your generous help and patience. One more question. I've managed to set it so that whenever my macbook wakes up from sleep, the speakers actually find it and prompt window opens, asking me if I'd like to accept them as an audio device. I press yes, and it's all set up. The question is: is there a way to make it so that I don't have to press yes in that box and they are just automatically accepted? Or is there some little app you're aware of that is designed to say "yes" to certain prompt windows?

After this, you'll be rid of me forever, I swear.

Bluetooth Auto-Connect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.