Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change the name of home folder(or the hard drive name)

I am taking over a Mac Pro at work which the previous user set home folder(or the hard drive name) with his personal name.( usually the home folder/hard drive name is MacintoshHD) How would I go about changing the home folders / i am not allowed to reinstal the system though!

is there any other way to do it or change it,with aa programe or?

i m on lion

thank you

iPod touch, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 5:27 AM

10 replies

Oct 29, 2011 5:35 AM in response to air2064

Hold command r keys and boot the computer into Lion Recovery Partition.

From there you can erase the Lion OS X Partition using Disk Utility and download and install a new copy of Lion from Apple's Servers.

Upon rebooting normally you will go through the setup and can set whatever name on the machine as you wish.

All files and third party programs will be removed, so save your files off the machine and resintall programs from fresh sources, download iLife from the AppStore again if you need it.

Sorry this is the only way it can be done to remove a previous owner entirely from the machine, you can delete a use from the System Preferences> accounts, but not the owner unless you do a total reinstall.

Thanky you for participating in the ASC

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3358920

Oct 29, 2011 6:50 AM in response to air2064

1. Enable the root user.
  2. Log in as root.
  3. Navigate to the /Users folder.
  4. Select the Home folder with the short name you want to change, and rename it just like you would rename any folder. Keep in mind that the shortname must be all lowercase, with no spaces, and only contain letters.
  5. Use the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier) in System Preferences to create a new user with the Account name or Short Name that you used in the previous step.
  6. Click OK when "A folder in the Users folder already has the name 'account name'. Would you like to use that folder as the Home folder for this user account?" Note: This will correct the ownership of all files in the Home folder, and avoid permissions issues with the contents.
  7. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu.
  8. Log in as the newly created user. You should be able to access all of your original files (on the desktop, in Documents, and in the other folders of this Home).
  9. After verifying that your data is as expected, you can delete the original user account via the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier).
  10. Disable the root user.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1428

Oct 29, 2011 12:27 PM in response to air2064

When you click on the triangle, ti should show you a box that is filled in with the name.

IF this is the Hard Drive name, you should be allowed to type anything in that box that is a good Hard Drive name.

IF this is the account_name, you will need to either create a new account with a name you like more, or follow the complex methods other users have already posted. The Account name(login name) is NEVER Macinstsh HD by default. That is the Hard Drive name.

Oct 29, 2011 6:03 PM in response to air2064

air2064 wrote:

yes i saw it,its light grey and does not give me option to correct it

Do you have admin access to the machine?

Then simply create a new user in System Preferences>Acoounts and use the Users/Shared folder to transfer files between accounts.

Once your up on the new name, delete the old account.

I slighty misread your post, sorry.

Sep 17, 2012 2:21 AM in response to air2064

I have been having the same probelm. I have changed users and now all editable areas hold my name. However under the users folder there is a folder containing the previous users name which is the base folder for all files. This is causing an issue as occaisionally this name is then displayed via shared folders. I cannot double/ right click the folder to rename and when I open the get info window the name and extension box displays the name in a faded grey and is uneditable. If anyone has found a solution i would be really grateful.

change the name of home folder(or the hard drive name)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.