Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merging two large scans

i am trying to merge a set of "two-sided" scans of roughly 100+ pages which i now have of a "front" and "back" side for. Basically I am going to have a pdf of each of these and I am going to keep the images in two folders as well.

aside from the fact that i will have to do a little culling where a scan added an extra bad page due to a bad feed or in making sure that the documents and/or images line up - is there a way to merge these two into one document that goes front-back-front-back etc like the original document?

i tried getting advice on how to get this hp 8500 all in one scanner to do the two sided scan on its own but my recollection was that I was unlikely to get this to work.

TIA for any advice.

Jon

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 9:37 AM

1 reply

Feb 13, 2016 3:58 PM in response to hotwheels22

A little late, but maybe this can help you:

You will make an automator workflow. Its quite easy:

1. First, open automator. (Open spotlight, e.g. by pressing command-spacebar, and type ”automator” without the quotation marks, then press Enter.)

2. From the promt, choose ”Workflow”, which should be highlighted.

3. In the search bar in the upper left, type ”Get Selected Finder Items”, and from the results below, drag the line with the same name to the grey area to the right.

4. In the search area again, type ”Combine”, and drag the entry named ”Combine PDF Pages” to the right, making sure it ends up below the earlier item.

5. Now, you are done. From under the File Menu (or by pressing command-S) save your workflow wherever you want to, and name it something nice (why not ”thx VickeVireG PDF merge”?) and then quit automator.

Now, whenever you want to merge PDF files, do the following:

6. Double click your automator workflow (”thx VickeVire G PDF merge”), which will open automator.

7. Now go to a folder containing the scanned pages (in PDF format) that you want to merge, sorted with the document containing the first pages first, and highlight both of them.

8. In automator, make sure that ”Shuffling pages” is chosen, and click ”Run” in the upper right corner.

9. In the lower left of the box named ”Combine PDF Pages” there is a button named ”Results”. Press it, and it will show your new file. Double click it, and it will open your PDF. Save it to wherever you want to have it.

I hope this works for you! Cheers!

merging two large scans

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.