Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't open applications...

Hi everyone--

I have a Macbook Pro 3,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz running 10.6.8

All software is up to date, including the security update from about a week ago.

So now when I log into my account, it lets me open any applications, so I open up say, safari and mail.

Then after working on those apps for like 5 minutes, I can't open any other applications, like they just bounce once then won't open. And then, if I close safari or mail, then they won't reopen until I log out then in again.

I've gotten accustomed to just opening all the apps I'm gonna need right when I log in, but I'd really like to fix this...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben

Mac Pro Intel Xeon 2.66GHz 1Gb RAM 10.4, MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 4Gb RAM 10.6, Mac OS X (10.6.7), JVC HD-7, Azden SGM-1X, Sony HDR-V6

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 10:35 AM

9 replies

Nov 1, 2011 4:45 PM in response to bmccallister

Or you may need this (if you have enough free space).

Try using Disk Utility to do a Disk Repair, as shown in this link, while booted up on your install disk.

You could have some directory corruption. Let us know what errors Disk Utility reports and if DU was able to repair them. Disk Utility's Disk Repair is not perfect and may not find or repair all directory issues. A stronger utility may be required to finish the job.

After that Repair Permissions.

No need to report Permissions errors....we all get them.

DALE

Nov 4, 2011 2:55 PM in response to bmccallister

I already tried a permissions repair, but that didn't fix the error. I'm definitely not using too much memory, I have 4gigs installed and rarely use it all. Half my hard drive is empty, so it's not a free space issue. What happens is: I have this window of time when I log in in which I can open any apps, then after a certain amount of time (not sure exactly how long) it won't let me open any additional. They just bounce once, no error message or anything. I would try the disk repair, but can't find my install disk.

The problem seems to have started after a software update, it feels like it was around the time I did the latest SL security update...

Very odd...I wonder if anyone else has had this problem...?

Thanks for the help so far,

Ben

Nov 4, 2011 3:17 PM in response to bmccallister

This is what I get in the Console when trying to launch text edit:

11/4/11 6:16:45 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[142] ([0x0-0x32032].com.apple.TextEdit[347]) posix_spawn("/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit", ...): Permission denied

11/4/11 6:16:45 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[142] ([0x0-0x32032].com.apple.TextEdit[347]) Exited with exit code: 1

Thoughts?

May 21, 2017 11:23 PM in response to bmccallister

Hi guys my mac book pro. won't open what should I do.? It's turning on but just says processed and then the line under the apple less then half its not moving forward it's been 3 hours like this.

MacBook Pro won't open applications...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.