Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My albums are not grouping under the artist on my iPad 2....

Artists not grouping together on iPad...for example, I will have 3 albums by the same artist, all will show when u view by album but when I try to view by artist it says 1 album, when there is actually 3. The other 2 albums show nowhere under artists, only under album. Any suggestions??

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 1:52 PM

8 replies

Nov 18, 2017 1:43 AM in response to Kalestar

The solution to this problem, for me, came after discovering that about 25% of my albums are put into the "Compilations" directory because I have told iTunes to automatically organize my library. In order to group all of an artist's albums under the artist name, you need to right click on each of the missing albums in the album view of iTunes, select "Album Info", then uncheck the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" checkbox.

Oct 29, 2011 1:56 PM in response to Kalestar

On the computer, in i tunes, look real carefully at how the artist names are entered. A small variation makes the machine think it is a totally different artist. I have this problem all the time. The best solution for me is to get them all on the same itunes screen, and do a bulk info update of the artist name, so they are all exactly the same.

Oct 29, 2011 2:09 PM in response to pjl123

That's what is so weird.....they all say the exact same thing. Even on iTunes it will say the artists name with however many albums (ie. Rihanna, 5 albums, 69 songs) but then I move it to the iPad and under artists it says Rihanna, 3 albums, 40 songs. Then the other two albums I have no idea where they are stored under artist, can only find under albums. How do you do a "bulk info update"? Thanks for your help.

Oct 29, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Kalestar

Most of my music was brought in from sources other than i tunes, so i have a ton of inconsistsncy in naming and labeling. But even when the artist name looks the same on the itunes list, it may look different to the computer. The number of spaces after the name, hidden characters etc. anyway...

In i tunes, get all the songs on the same page (dont really need to have them on the same page, but it makes it much easier)

Then highlight the list. A box should pop up, the top entry says 'get info'. If the box does not pop up, right click to force it.

Click get entry, and it will ask, are you sure you want to change all these songs. Tell it yes, and a screen with each of the available info fields will appear. Only make an entry in the field you want to change. In this case, artist. Type it how you want it and push enter. It will change that field for all of the songs that you have highlighted to that which you typed. Do not horse with song title or album name, as you will overwrite what was already there.

This is also a good time to get your genre set the way you want if, if you care about that.

Try it on a short list once or twice so that you get the technique down. I have about 7000 songs, and this is clearly not something i can clear up in a day.

Oct 29, 2011 3:13 PM in response to pjl123

Thanks I will try that. Also I have it set to manually manage music. It seems that once I have the music on my iPad and make a change to the artist on the iTunes library, the change doesn't carry over to my iPad even if I sync. I have to remove from iPad and then put it back on. This doesn't seem efficient, is there some way to make the iPad update after making changes in the iTunes library?

Jun 25, 2016 9:38 AM in response to pjl123

This worked for me only when I went through Windows Explorer and right clicked to Preferences, then Details, then edited the Album Artist. I restarted iTunes and then when I played each song, the change kicked in. Don't fully understand why, but it works so I'm not questioning it. Thanks for putting me on the right track!

My albums are not grouping under the artist on my iPad 2....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.