Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting files VERY slow

If I go into Finder to delete a bunch of files, it takes forever. If I select 20 or 50 oor 100 files, it makes difference ... it's very, very slow. Anything I can do to speed this up?

MacBookPro (Intel), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 2:30 PM

What do you mean by delete - moving to trash, or emptying trash?

If emptying trash is really slow you probably have 'empty trash securely' selected - this takes a while.... deselect it in Finder preferences and it will be fast.....

If moving to trash is very slow, then I can't help sorry....

6 replies

Oct 31, 2011 10:18 PM in response to astrodog73

Sorry for not being clearer. I mean deleting - moving items to the trash. "Empty trash securely" is not selected.

Here's some more info ... sometimes doing a Force Quit on Finder and making Finder relaunch helps speeds things up, but then it slows down again pretty quickly.

So I opened up Activity Monitor and saw that Dropbox was eating up 40-50% of CPU. I shut down Dropbox and that speeded things up. I have no idea why Dropbox would slow down deleting files that were not in the Dropbox folder, but there it was.

Any thoughts?

Mar 22, 2014 12:24 AM in response to Roger Barre

I also have this question too. You can go to finder in the menu bar > preferences > advanced > unchecked the " empty trash securely".

Roger Barre wrote:

If I go into Finder to delete a bunch of files, it takes forever. If I select 20 or 50 oor 100 files, it makes difference ... it's very, very slow. Anything I can do to speed this up?

Deleting files VERY slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.