Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i split first and last name without splitting my skull

I have a numbers file imported from .xls, open in Numbers 09, and before I spring for going back to MS Office, I was hoping to figure out how to easily split a single column that has first and last name in it.

The numbers file has headers for "full name" and then I added two columns next to it "first name" and "last name" but that's where the fun ends.

I've googled, even bought "the missing manual O'reilly e-book", and I'm still not getting this right. I have seen lots of formulas and such, but not one works for me. I'm definitely doing something wrong and I'm hoping I can find someone who can give me an easy to understand answer as to where the formula needs to go, how to apply it to the WHOLE column of data and not have to do one by one, etc etc. Seem to be finding lots of formulas with no assumption that someone may not know where to put the actual string, etc.

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 3:22 PM

Assuming the names are formatted as "First Last":

User uploaded file

you can use the search() function to locate the space, then use the left() and right() formulas to extract the names.

B1=SEARCH(" ",A1)

C1=LEFT(A1, B1-1)

D1=RIGHT(A1, LEN(A1)-B1)

If the format of the names is different then you can still use a similar method. Post back if you need more help.

Wayne

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2011 3:22 PM in response to zl9600

Assuming the names are formatted as "First Last":

User uploaded file

you can use the search() function to locate the space, then use the left() and right() formulas to extract the names.

B1=SEARCH(" ",A1)

C1=LEFT(A1, B1-1)

D1=RIGHT(A1, LEN(A1)-B1)

If the format of the names is different then you can still use a similar method. Post back if you need more help.

Wayne

Oct 29, 2011 3:26 PM in response to zl9600

zl,

Let's say your combined name is in Column A. The following expressions will parse out the first and last names with pretty good results if the source is "Robert Clancy" or "William and Mary Allison", for instance.

It's a little complicated, but I've done the hard part for you. Just copy the expressions into your expanded table. The last step is to Copy and Paste Values from the computed name columns to new columns for the static data.

You are going to add six columns after the combined name column. Here's the example:

User uploaded file

First Space:

=FIND(" ", A)

Second Space:

=IFERROR(FIND(" ", A, B+1), "-")

Third Space:

=IFERROR(FIND(" ", A, C+1), "-")

Last Space:

=MAX(B2:D2)

Last Name:

=RIGHT(A,LEN(A)-E)

First Name:

=LEFT(A, E-1)

After entering these expressions in your first computation row, Fill Down to the bottom row of your table.

The approach here is to find all the space characters in the full name. The Last Name is assumed to begin just after the last space character.

Regards,

Jerry

Oct 29, 2011 2:44 PM in response to zl9600

I work on a project that converted legacy data, including combined names.

The answer is "it depends on the data".

Names that you know to be "very nicely" always formatted as "<first name><singlespace><last name>" make for easy conversion.

Nams from "less disciplined sources" can require a dozen or more different "automated routines", which does make the "automated" part of "automated routines" useless. Worse than useless, actually, as your routine becomes a "automated corruption" routine instead.

I have no single answer because I cannot speak to the variety of different formats you may have in the names.

First, analyze *ALL* names in the list for a list of all patterns you will need to deal with.

Then test-run the conversions on COPIES of the spreadsheet instead of the original.

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2011 3:44 PM in response to steve359

Hey Steve, thanks for the quick reply.

I realized that rich text may contain lots of oddities so I did copy and paste into Apple Mail (my favorite plain text editor!?), converted to plain text, did a find for the space, and replaced with a tab (using 'option' + 'tab').

Then copied that list and went back to numbers, selected BOTH the columns I had created, then pasted.

It worked--no formulas necessary.

Mar 18, 2015 7:06 PM in response to zl9600

I wonder if Apple will ever find their own answer to Macros... you know, in a non-virus way...

AppleScript has been around since 1993 (I think) and isn't known for vulnerability to viruses. It works similarly to VBA macros, except that it is not "built into" Numbers the way VBA is built into Excel. You run it from Script Editor or as a menu pick from the Scripts menu or (if placed within Automator) from the Services menu or a keyboard shortcut.

Below is a short script that reads the names in selected cells, splits them into a last name and first-middle, and places them on the system clipboard.

To use:

1. Copy-paste into Script Editor
  2. Select the cells with the names you need to "split"
  3. Click the run button in Script Editor
  4. Click once in the first destination cell in Numbers.
  5. Command-v to paste.

Just a quick copy-paste. No formulas or messing with text editors!

SG

tell application "Numbers"

tell document 1 to tell active sheet

tell (first table whose selection range's class is range)

set pasteStr to ""

repeat with aCell in selection range's cells

set v to aCell's value

set AppleScript'stext item delimiters to " "

set fstMidName to v's words 1 thru -2 as string

set AppleScript'stext item delimiters to ""

set lName to v's last word

set pasteStr to pasteStr & fstMidName & tab & lName & return

set the clipboard topasteStr

end repeat

end tell

end tell

end tell

The result:

User uploaded file

how do i split first and last name without splitting my skull

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.