Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow file drag: is there a fix?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but use Macs since 2008. I recently updated from OSX Snow Leopard to Lion, and dragging files became unbearably slow. I always moved large files and folders with several files without any problems in SL, but in Lion this is really painful. Just to make it clear, I'm doing things the same way I always did; the only thing that changed is the OS. File dragging became slow in all situations, including from folder to folder, and from my Mac to an external HDD (both via firewire and USB). Why did file dragging become so slow? Is there a fix to this bug? Thank you very much.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 1:27 AM

17 replies

Oct 30, 2011 10:55 PM in response to morceg@o

Resetting the SMC will likely not have much effect here. If your memory is running low then try quitting some applications until the green component of the pie chart in that window gets larger. A good way to do this is just restart and keep your applications closed, and then see if the slow dragging behavior still occurs.

A couple of options that may help besides freeing memory (or getting more RAM to accommodate your increased memory use), is to use Disk Utility to test the disk for errors. Run a disk verification routine when you have selected the boot volume, and then repeat this when you have selected the boot drive (the device above the boot volume name). If you see any errors then reboot to the Lion recovery partition (restart with Command-R pressed), and perform the fix routines.

Oct 31, 2011 6:42 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Thank you very much for the help! I repeated all procedures (PRAM reset, SMC reset, disk verification, restart) and now file dragging in my MacBook Pro (15" Late 2008) seems to be working ok. I'll try the same procedures in my iMac (27" Late 2009) at work. When I bought my MacBook Pro, I upgraded RAM from 2 to 4 gb. Do you know if it is possible to upgrade RAM further in this model?

Oct 31, 2011 7:14 AM in response to morceg@o

If your system is a late 2008 MacBook "Pro" model then I'm assuming its a MacBook Pro 5,1. In this case you should be able to upgrade to 8GB RAM, though you may need to apply this firmware update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL975) to do this. Check your boot ROM version (in the System Information utility), and if it is not "MBP51.007E.B05," then apply the firmware update and you should be able to get up to 8GB RAM into the system.

Oct 31, 2011 7:36 AM in response to morceg@o

Yes. Just me sure the RAM upgrade matches the specs of your current RAM (primarily speed and type--ie, 204-pin, PC8500/1066MHz, DDR3). Any RAM manufacturer will work, so dont waste money on Apple's crazy expensive RAM. You should be able to get an 8GB upgrade for around $40-50, and not the $200 that Apple wants.

Any of these from NewEgg should work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%2060000617 8%20600000445%20600000401&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB%20%282%20x%204GB%29

Slow file drag: is there a fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.