Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4s battery life very bad & here are my test's

I have been time testing my iPhone 4s & 4

This is what came up with

When I am using the iPhone 4s I make a call

And only get 2 & a half minutes per 1%

Of battery life

On the iPhone 4 the same but thay are both useing

IOS 5

Test 1/ 2:44.8

Test 2/ 2:19.5

Test 3/ 2.40.1

Test 4/. 2.20.2

Test.5/ 2.40.1

This is very bad !

Should I just return the phone

And wait for the iPhone 5 next year?

Let me know what you think !

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 4:31 AM

4 replies

Jul 10, 2014 12:18 PM in response to chad236

You must note that the iPhone (or any other phone) uses a Lithium Ion battery that will often show that a device has a much greater percentage of power than actually in the cell. Try charging your phone for a large amount of time to insure it is still working and then test it. To keep your battery in top condition you should charge it to 60-80% and not run it flat as this can damage to battery (unlike what your told as this is for lead acid batteries, the old type).

Jul 10, 2014 12:26 PM in response to OPage

OPage wrote:

You must note that the iPhone (or any other phone) uses a Lithium Ion battery that will often show that a device has a much greater percentage of power than actually in the cell. Try charging your phone for a large amount of time to insure it is still working and then test it. To keep your battery in top condition you should charge it to 60-80% and not run it flat as this can damage to battery (unlike what your told as this is for lead acid batteries, the old type).

Sorry, wrong. You can not damage the battery by running it down to zero, because zero is not really flat; the battery has a reserve both to save memory and protect the battery. However, you should charge it soon if it reaches zero. And you should NOT charge it to 60-80%; you should charge it to 100% (which isn't really 100%, the same way that zero isn't flat). Actually, you can charge it any time you want at any percentage to any other percentage you want; the battery doesn't care. The most convenient way to charge it is to charge it overnight, every night. It is not possible to overcharge it, because the charger circuit in the phone will turn off charging at 100%.

Jul 10, 2014 12:29 PM in response to chad236

What was your signal strength? If it was less than 5 "bars" the phone must increase its output power (and thus use more battery energy) to maintain a connection. If your strength was 1 bar your battery life is probably normal.

However, you have an older phone. iPhone batteries are rated at 500 full charge/discharge cycles to half battery life. If the phone has been used for a couple of years it may need a new battery.

Jul 10, 2014 12:43 PM in response to chad236

Are you in a low coverage area? 3G/4G/LTE? When you are out, do you have wifi on? Do you have cellular data on when at home or connected to wifi? Are your email push/fetch every minute or hourly or manual? does your background refreshes app? Do you constantly force close frequent app?

During your test, are you heavily using your phone? What do you mostly do on your phone? Battery do degrade over time after so many cycles and heat as well.

iphone 4s battery life very bad & here are my test's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.