Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover my encrypted iPhone 3GS backup

Hi,

After 12 months of resisting the urge to update my iPhone iOS I finally relented last night. Prior to the update I did a backup, installed the iOS update and then went to restore from backup. It was then that I found out my backups have been getting encrypted since that one time wayback when I checked that "encrypt backup" button. Well... I have no idea what the password is but really need to get the data back as it's got my daughter's birth, first swim, etc on then (not to mention a plethora of phone numbers).

Anyway, I have tried looking in keychain, old passwords, variations to old passwords and anything else that I could think of to no avail. Basically I need to crack the encryption.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My first idea was to use an applescript to populate the password field in itunes, click ok, click retry and try another. Any help with the actual code for this would be good. I can figure out the loops for generating the various passwords but have no idea how to put them into the text field and select the ok button.

Regards,

Chris.

PS. If you're worried I'm up to no good and am actually trying to hack someone elses phone, then I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. I thought about this and realistically, short of handing my backup over to someone else to unencrypt for me (ain't gonna happen), there is no way that I could easily prove it beyond a doubt. Anyway, if you have moral scruples about helping me then please don't tell me it can be done unless you're gonna tell me how or direct me to where I can find out how, my first post here wound up at a dead end. I just want my iPhone back to how it was yesterday.

iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 7:31 AM

There are no replies.

Recover my encrypted iPhone 3GS backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.