Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos from your HD using iPhoto?

This is driving me crazy: I can't delete photos from my HD using iPhoto.

If I delete a photo in iPhoto (in photos, not in albums), then empty the iPhoto trash bin, and then the Mac trash bin, the photo is still on my HD, eating up HD space!

Help is much appreciated!

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 9:59 AM

18 replies

Oct 30, 2011 10:21 AM in response to esteban_morientes

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Oct 30, 2011 10:31 PM in response to igmackenzie

@igmackenzie:

I imported them from folders, indeed. I'm a switcher, and have my photo's organised in countles folders on my HD. Because I don't want to lose all folders, I imported the folders in iPhoto (a second reason for that is that it would take an enormous amount of time to import them separately and not in folders).

@Terence Devlin:

The box is checked, so I'm running a Managed Library

Oct 31, 2011 1:22 AM in response to esteban_morientes

So that means you have two sets of the photos? One in iPhoto Library and the other in your own folder system?

Iphoto will not delete any files it doesn't manage. So files stored outside the library will not be deleted by iPhoto.

Just an FYI:

If you want to duplicate your Folder Tree in iPhoto:

Start at the bottom of the hierarchy and drag a folder of images to the Album Heading in iPhoto. The pics will be imported and an Album of the same name created.

You can then create the Enclosing Folders in the iPhoto Window (File -> New Folder) and drag the Album to it. Folders can contain other Folders (Nested Folders) and Albums.

However, is your folder system date based? Then this form of organisation is a bit pointless in iPhoto when Smart Albums or the Calendar tool (Click on the wee magnifying glass in the Search Box) mean you can find the photos taken on any day, month or year at a click. With Smart Albums it's easy to find photos from specific range - say, June 3 to August 25, 2009 etc.

If your folder system is theme based - Xmas pics, Birthday pics etc, then you'll find Keywords are much more flexible, and can be used in conjunction with other criteria for making Smart Albums and searches.

Oct 31, 2011 1:30 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, I would like to ask a question here. I don't use iPhoto much as I use Lightroom and Photoshop, in fact, I just tend to use iphoto for face regognition at times, and I have a similar issue.

I have a Referenced Library, which is not deleting files from the original folder. I hadn't really tried to do this before for the reason above.

If I delete from iPhoto, even empty the Trash, the file is still there in my orginal location on the HD.

In fact, I've just tried a couple of edits in iPhoto and they are not reflected in the originals either.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Oct 31, 2011 1:45 AM in response to igmackenzie

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just not how iPhoto works.

1. Deleting: If you run a referenced library then you opt to take responsibility for the File Management. I.e: you get the files from the camera and put them somewehere, then import them to iPhoto. The same is true on deletions: trash the file from iPhoto removes the image from the db, the thumbnail and preview but it does not touch the original file. That's your responsibility, which you took when you decided on a referenced Library. So, the simple rule of thumb: iPhoto will not (indeed, can't) delete anything stored outside the Library package.

2. Editing: iPhoto will never edit your original - just like Lightroom. All operations are caried out on a copy of the original, never on the original. Iphoto is not an editor like Photoshop.

Regards

TD

Oct 31, 2011 6:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence. However, I'm confused. 2) I completely understand. 1) I 'm not quite with it.

Are you saying that iPhoto doesn't alter any photos outside its db whether it's a Managed or a Referenced library? If that is the case, I can't see what the difference is then in terms of the original file.

Do I understand this correctly? With a Managed library, iPhoto copies the files into its db and leaves the originals completely alone. With a References Library, iPhoto just 'references' the file and its location. In both cases, all edits are retained within the iPhoto db, and there are NEVER any changes to the original file. Now, if that is the case, what is the point in duplicating the files by using a Managed library? Does that not just take up a whole load of addditonal space for no particular benefit?

Additionally, is it correct that it is NEVER possible to delete a photo from the HD even in a Reference library? If that is true then, why is that? Does that mean that in the middle of a session, one would have to go to another app and manually delete the files? Seems odd.

I guess I'm missing an important point somewhere!

Oct 31, 2011 7:32 AM in response to igmackenzie

Yes, the point you're missing is:

If you're using a Managed Library, why would you keep a second set of files in the FInder?

With a Managed Library lots of things - not least backing up - are a lot more simple. So too is migrating a library. In fact, running a Referenced Library gains you nothing. It's just dumb storage. It offers no additional capability. Keeping two copies - one in your own filing system, one on iPhoto - is just a waste of space. It doesn't constitute a back up even.

It's perfectly possible to delete files in a Referenced Library. It's just that you do it, not iPhoto.

Regards

TD

Oct 31, 2011 7:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

OK, my understanding level is rising, however....

If you're using a Managed Library, why would you keep a second set of files in the FInder?

I would be very nervous having my entire library of years of photos sitting in one big db file. If it is corrupted, then bang! That is why I like the LR/PS workflow, I retain my photos within a dated folder structure, and all edits are non-destructive that both PS and LR can 'see'. All photos are indexed and referenced within LR's DAM.

With a Managed Library lots of things - not least backing up - are a lot more simple.

If all the edits are held within iPhoto's db and the original files are untouched then how does it make backing up easier?

Keeping two copies - one in your own filing system, one on iPhoto - is just a waste of space. It doesn't constitute a back up even.

I thought that was the point, that in a Referenced library, you don't have 2 copies. I use a Referenced library and it is 11Gb, whereas the images it is referencing are about 80Gb. That suggests to me that the images are not being copied.

It's perfectly possible to delete files in a Referenced Library. It's just that you do it, not iPhoto.

What I meant to ask was, is it impossible to delete files from within iPhoto, and that one would have to go to an external app to do the deletion. That seems very messy to me, having to manually delete a series of files. How would one track all the names when in the middle of a complex session?

Just trying to understand a bit more!

Oct 31, 2011 9:02 AM in response to igmackenzie

I would be very nervous having my entire library of years of photos sitting in one big db file.

It's not a file. It's special kind of folder called a Package. It presents in the Finder as single object but it's not. Want a look inside? Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed. There are all your files, arranged in folders. It's a simple protection against inexpereinced users damaging the library inadvertently.

If it is corrupted, then bang!

There's no more to corrupt than any folder tree.

That is why I like the LR/PS workflow,

Are you really comparing a software system that costs in the region of $1,000 with a $15 app? Seriously?

I retain my photos within a dated folder structure, and all edits are non-destructive that both PS and LR can 'see'.

No you don't actually. What you have is a collection of files in folders. But those files are not your photos. They're just containers for your Photos. It mkes as much sense organising your photos by the files that contain them as organising a shoe store by the colour of the boxes. The point is the shoes not the boxes.

With iPhoto, you're working with the Photos, not the files - it's that dumb storage thing again. (Same with LR, incidentally). With iPhoto all edits are non destructive, and, using the external editor set up, iPhoto and Photoshop can "see" the edited versions too.

So, your point is?

If all the edits are held within iPhoto's db and the original files are untouched then how does it make backing up easier?

One single object to back up gets everything. Originals, edits, metadata, orgnisation etc etc etc How is having multiple objects to back up easier?

I thought that was the point, that in a Referenced library, you don't have 2 copies.

Neither would you have two copies with a Managed Library either. So, your point is?

As to deletions: If you run a referenced library you are responsible for file management. So, manage the files, it's what you have a jones for. That's why I advocate a Manged Library.

Regards

TD

Oct 31, 2011 9:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

I would be very nervous having my entire library of years of photos sitting in one big db file.

It's not a file. It's special kind of folder called a Package. It presents in the Finder as single object but it's not. Want a look inside? Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed. There are all your files, arranged in folders. It's a simple protection against inexpereinced users damaging the library inadvertently.

I know that, but I assumed that if that folder becomes corrupted, then the whole db is problematic compared to just losing a file or two when stored in a more 'conventional' structure. Thanks for reassuring me that is not the case.

There's no more to corrupt than any folder tree.

See above. Very reassuring.

Are you really comparing a software system that costs in the region of $1,000 with a $15 app? Seriously?

No I'm not. Just giving a reason for liking a particular workflow. No dig at iPhoto intended or given.

No you don't actually. What you have is a collection of files in folders. But those files are not your photos. They're just containers for your Photos. It mkes as much sense organising your photos by the files that contain them as organising a shoe store by the colour of the boxes. The point is the shoes not the boxes.

I'll use the term files in future!

With iPhoto, you're working with the Photos, not the files - it's that dumb storage thing again. (Same with LR, incidentally). With iPhoto all edits are non destructive, and, using the external editor set up, iPhoto and Photoshop can "see" the edited versions too.

Using the external editor set up with Photoshop, where does PS store the files/photos when you do a 'save as'? Back into the iPhoto library? Are you saying that PS and iPhoto can see each others edits like LR and PS? Hmmm.

One single object to back up gets everything. Originals, edits, metadata, orgnisation etc etc etc How is having multiple objects to back up easier?

Because, if I make one change to a photo, Time Machine will back up that small xmp file, but I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it would backup the entire iPhoto library file unless it is clever enough to know changes within the package. (Same sort of problem with VMs like Parallels, one small change makes TM backup the whole huge VM file.)

Neither would you have two copies with a Managed Library either. So, your point is?

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood. I was under the impression that with a Managed library, a copy of the files was made to iPhoto library and the original files wre left untouched in their original locations.

As to deletions: If you run a referenced library you are responsible for file management. So, manage the files, it's what you have a jones for. That's why I advocate a Manged Library.

Still, the fact is as I understand it, that you cannot delete a file within iPhoto. LR (sorry to make the comparison) and iTunes, for example, asks if you want to delete the photo from the hard disk as well as the library.

Only trying to understand some more, that's all. No criticism of iPhoto intended!!

Oct 31, 2011 10:12 AM in response to igmackenzie

Using the external editor set up with Photoshop, where does PS store the files/photos when you do a 'save as'?

Why would you do a 'Save As'? When you set up the External Editor, and opt to edit in it, iPhoto creates a copy of the Original and sends it to Photoshop. Make your edits and Save (not Save As). The Edited version is saved back to iPhoto and the thumbnail is updated.

If you Save As in Photoshop then PS creates the copy and iPhoto has no knowledge of this copy. If you want to do this then save to the desktop and import as a new file.

So why do you Save As in PS? To protect the original, right? Iphoto has done it for you.

Are you saying that PS and iPhoto can see each others edits like LR and PS?

Yes. Though I'm not entirely sure you've grasped LR 😉 You can't "see" LR's edits on the original either, can you?

Because, if I make one change to a photo, Time Machine will back up that small xmp file, but I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it would backup the entire iPhoto library file

You assumed wrongly 😉

Any back up app I've come across that does incremental back ups will parse the iPhoto Library.

I was under the impression that with a Managed library, a copy of the files was made to iPhoto library and the original files wre left untouched in their original locations.

Yes, and then the user would trash the original files as they are a waste of space.

Yes, and Aperture will ask that too - and that's a more direct comparison with LR than iPhoto - but for $15 you get a lot, but not everything.

I've said it before: the target user for iPhoto is someone with a point and shoot or phone, who takes snaps, wants to fix red-eye, wants to share them with friends, wants to email them to Granny, maybe make a book or calendar. There are many other things possible - it'll process exactly the same Raws as Aperture, for instance - but that's the target.

Regards

TD

How to delete photos from your HD using iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.