Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jabber IDs mangled in chatrooms

Hello,

I'm evaluating iChat Server on 10.6.8, and seeing some odd behavior in multi-person chats. I'd love some feedback about whether it's expected or not.

We're using Jabber IDs that match our email addresses, of the style nathaniel@example.com, via an override of the IMHandle LDAP key. Most of our clients are using iChat on 10.7.x, though some are using Adium.

* When I join a chatroom called "testchat", my messages appear to myself as coming from nathaniel@testchat.example.com, and my avatar is a generic gray silhouette.

* To other users, I usually (but not always!) appear as nathaniel@example.com, so my avatar comes across, and if they have that JID set on their address book entry for me, then my name appears by my avatar. However, if we join a chatroom after another user has departed, their archived messages appear under a JID like "alice@testchat.example.com", with gray silhouettes.

This inconsistency is holding us up from deploying Jabber as a substitute for AIM. Is there anything to be done about it? I found another reference to the same problem, but no one replied.

If this is business-as-usual under 10.6, but Lion Server is smarter about this, that would be helpful to know; we're planning to upgrade sometime before the heat death of the universe.

Thank you,

-nat

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 12:56 PM

1 reply

Jabber IDs mangled in chatrooms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.