Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning a drive for Time Machine

I have a 1TB external hard drive that I have only used thus far for movies, music and tv shows. I use NTFS formatting and I have the application Paragon so that my MacBook Pro can write files in NTFS format.

I want to partition 200 GB of my external for Time Machine to backup my laptops hard drive and I would like to avoid buying another external for this purpose since I have the space on my current external. Is there a way to partition a section of my external for Time Machine without erasing the data that's already on my external? Also, does it matter what format the external uses, aka is a certain file format more compatible with Time Machine than NTFS is? If so, can I create a partition on my hard drive with a different file format while maintaining the NTFS portion with my movies and music?

Lots of questions but I hope you are following my situation.

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 3:02 PM

5 replies

Oct 30, 2011 3:54 PM in response to AlexMaczotta

Hi Alex, it''l need HFS+ formatting to use TM I believe.

How big is the Laptops HDD? You generally need at least twice the space of the drive you're backing up.

Re-partitioning can be dangerous, Disk Utility is supped to be able to do it in 10.5.8, but not tried it. iPartition might be easier, but the NTFS<->HFS+ issue might be a deal breaker, not sure.

One possibility other than TM would be Tri-Backup...

http://www.tri-edre.com/english/products/tribackup.html

Which would allow you to Backup using a compressed file on the NTFS volume, no Partitioning needed.

Oct 30, 2011 6:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Hm, I actually wanted to get a Bus powered drive for convenience purposes. The current 1TB hard drive I have is Cavalry brand and uses an outlet power adapter. Maybe I'll get a Bus powered 500 gb (which is enough for my movies and music anyway) and use my current external as a backup drive instead.

Do you think in general bus powered drives are a bad idea or just a bad idea for a hard drive backup?

Partitioning a drive for Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.