Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iPhoto '11, how do I manually move a locations pin?

I'm trying to add locations to some older photos that I've recently scanned and added to my iPhoto '11 library.

While I can successfully add a general location to each photo, what I cannot do is "select, drag, and drop your pin into the proper location" as described in step 5 of this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2550

If I select a photo and attempt to move its location pin on the map at the botton of the Info panel, nothing happens.The pin moves, but it doesn't "stick" in its new location. If I leave the photo and then return, the location remains in the original general location.

Any ideas?

Josh

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 9:40 AM

Hi,

the documentation and help files provided are misleading (describing the process for an older iPhoto version).

With iPhoto '11 you can move location pins in an own window:

Menu bar "Windows": Places.

There you can select a place on the left and move the respective pin to another place.

In addition you can rename a place on the left by double click the name.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Elmar

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2011 9:40 AM in response to Josh Alkire

Hi,

the documentation and help files provided are misleading (describing the process for an older iPhoto version).

With iPhoto '11 you can move location pins in an own window:

Menu bar "Windows": Places.

There you can select a place on the left and move the respective pin to another place.

In addition you can rename a place on the left by double click the name.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Elmar

Nov 2, 2011 11:52 AM in response to Elmar Dorner

This helps somewhat, although this cannot be the only way there is to accomplish my goal. For starters, not all of my locations appear in the "Manage My Locations" window. Not by a long shot.

There used to be a way to manage locations on a photograph-by-photograph basis. Is this no longer possible?

For example, what if I took 20 pictures at Kensington Gardens, and wanted to pinpoint exactly where in the park each photo was shot? Can this no longer be done?

Josh

Nov 2, 2011 2:29 PM in response to Josh Alkire

Hi Josh,

you can do it once for each picture through the Places part of the information section (bottom of the right side, after showing the information pane) with the small map. Type a name of a place that is close to the location you wish to assign to the picture but not in the proposed list. Press return, it will select one (first?) of the proposed names and will also include this place to the own Places list.

After that initial (wrong) placing you can use the described Places window to move/relocate a pin for a specific picture.

I didn't say this is a convenient or in any way Apple like way to do it (I really think it is a bug in iPhoto) but it works.

Regards,

Elmar

Dec 9, 2011 1:49 PM in response to Elmar Dorner

Hi hi,

I've been looking for an answer to this exact problem, and my pin won't stay even on the first attempt of moving it... And there's also a problem with dragging it outside the confines of the tiny map you're looking at, and if you zoom out too much you can't pinpoint the location! This is utterly stupid and completely non-functional! What's the point of having location software if you can only stick a pin within a mile of where the photo was taken?!!?! I'm fuming, I just wasted 3 hours doing loads of photos, went back to the first and **** me if they aren't all stuck in the middle of New Zealand. Waste of time. I think I'll stop ranting and go shout at Apple feedback. Let me know if you find a fix dudes!!

"Mr Grumpy"

Jan 25, 2012 5:31 AM in response to fraveu

Update: Still can't get it working, I move a pin, and next time I go to that photo it's returned to the original place. Places function is basically worthless.

Another glitch I noticed:

- iphoto adds names from your address book to faces - great.

- If the contact it's adding from your addressbook has changed their email address, the OLD email address shows up!!!!

- e.g. I added "Tommy McTomson" to a photo months ago; I then changed Tommy's email address from yahoo.com email to say hotmail.com

- Any future pictures of Tommy I add show his OLD yahoo email address under his name in "Faces". Whci isn't really a hassle cos I don't see how you can use the email address from that biut of the sscreen in iphoto, but come on dudes, it's really slack................

Also, you can't see an iphone when it's connected when in iphoto 11 full screen mode. But I'll check this & clarify later (not on mac at the moment).

Really not impressed with iPhoto '11, especially after reading all the negative stuff on forums across the net.

In iPhoto '11, how do I manually move a locations pin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.