Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue switching to a pages window: cursor moves to where I click.

I'm having an issue where the text cursor (not the mouse cursor) moves when I try to activate a pages window.

Lets say i'm editing a pages document, and I want to check out some information in a PDF in Preview. I click on the PDF window, find the information I'm looking for, and the click back on the pages window to continue typing. For some reason, my cursor moves to where I just clicked to activate the window, losing my place in the pages doc where I wanted to insert the text. I have to look and try to figure out where I was typing, and in a long document it becomes very difficult if I am editing in the middle of a paragraph.

I think what's happening, is that instead of simply activating the pages window, it's both activating it, and clicking on the window as if it was already active.

Is there any way to correct this? As a scientist, I am ALWAYS writing with other windows open, so this behaviour is making Pages nearly unuseable, and I'm thinking of going back to MS Word if I can't fix it (I know.. the horror!). The same problem happens in Numbers and Keynote, but it's not as annoying in those programs.

Running updated pages 09, iMac 24' Aluminum core 2 duo 2.4GHz (Lion), same problem on my Macbook air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I tried searching these forums already but couldn't find anything about this issue.

Thanks,

Adam

Pages '09-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), on an iMac al. 2.4GHz core 2 duo

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 7:25 PM

8 replies

Oct 30, 2011 7:42 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hi Jerry,

thanks for the advice, but i'm using a dual monitor setup, and those are pretty cumbersome solutions, and I often have 4 or 5 pages documents open at once, so just switching to pages doesn't really solve the problem. I just need to switch back and forth between two windows without the cursor moving, like it does in every other program I own except for iWork. For example, typing this reply, I can click on another safari window, and when I click back on this text box, it doesn't move the cursor at all, so I can just click this window, and type away from where I left off.

Oct 31, 2011 7:01 AM in response to CanuckBacon

CanuckBacon wrote:

Hi Jerry,

thanks for the advice, but i'm using a dual monitor setup, and those are pretty cumbersome solutions, and I often have 4 or 5 pages documents open at once, so just switching to pages doesn't really solve the problem. I just need to switch back and forth between two windows without the cursor moving, like it does in every other program I own except for iWork. For example, typing this reply, I can click on another safari window, and when I click back on this text box, it doesn't move the cursor at all, so I can just click this window, and type away from where I left off.

Canuck,

In your original question you only mentioned switching apps, so I didn't mention switching windows within an app. In addiiton to the method Walt gave you, you can cycle through the open windows of a single app by using Command-Tilde (the key just above the tab key).

Jerry

Oct 31, 2011 7:01 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Yeah that works Jerry (and Walt), but it doesn't really solve the main problem. It makes it quite the chore to select a window that's directly visible on my 2nd monitor.

Peter, I don't suppose you found a way to fix it in Quark? I seem to remember using an X11 app a while back where there was an option to allow clicks on inactive windows, and there was a preference you could change to toggle it. I think it may have been the gimp project.

Anyone know if anything like that exists on OSX? Maybe a terminal command?

Thanks again for your replies.

Adam

Nov 1, 2011 12:20 AM in response to CanuckBacon

The point was that Quark remembers the position of the cursor down to the smallest text box, even after saving and reopening.

OSX does let you click on another window not in focus, but if you click into the other window it will move the focus to that window which is as it should be.

I'm not sure what exactly is your problem though as I have just done tests and merely clicking from one window to another either both in Pages or in separate programs does not lose your cursor position.

Obviously if you click into the text of the first window it will go where you have clicked, but if you click on the window edges the cursor stays put where you left it.

Peter

Issue switching to a pages window: cursor moves to where I click.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.