Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I activate emoticons?

Does anyone know how to activate emoticons? I have a 4s iphone.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 7:50 PM

13 replies

Jan 30, 2012 11:33 AM in response to teach5

On your iPhone 3GS or 4 or 4S with iOS5, go Settings, General, Keyboard, International Keyboards, Add New Keyboard. Select "Emoji" in the keyboard list. Once the keyboard has been added, a new icon will show up when you send an imessage. It is the icon symbol for the international keyboard and it will be located to the left of your space bar. It allows you to toggle between your keyboards.

There are hundreds of emoticons to choose from. But know that only iMessage users (those with at least ios5) are able to see them. So anyone that you text and the text box is in blue can see them! They do not have to have the keyboard turned on to see them. But beware, they will want them as soon as they see them!!! Have fun!!!

πŸ˜€

Sep 26, 2015 3:05 AM in response to teach5

Sorry to be restarting an old thread, but for those who have an iPhone 3G, (like me) you can use iBackupbot to get the Emoji keyboard to be available.

First, backup the iPhone to your computer.

Then, you open iBackupbot and navigate to Library > Preferences > com.apple.preferences.plist

Afterward, add the <dict> tag, add this string:

<key>KeyboardEmojiEverywhere</key>

<true/>

Now save the file and restore your iPhone from the backup πŸ™‚User uploaded file

How do I activate emoticons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.